Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Explorer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

a solution to maxed hardware interrupts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlieb000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: a solution to maxed hardware interrupts
    Posted: 09 April 2012 at 7:08am
i did a booboo on the bios of my old system and moved my hardware over to a dell dimension PC. all was well for a while but i noticed some hidden cpu usage in task manager, after coming back to this program i saw it was the hardware interrupts that was taking alot of a cpu.

the first thing i did was delete/uninstall alot of my hardware and made the computer redetect and install. it still did it. so i was eliminating hardware and isolated it to my ATI X700 PCIe video card. i have two video cards, one ati and the other nvidia. i did not remove the card (that i can remember) i removed the drivers and reinstalled some times and finally, peace.

then today i noticed it happening again. i rebooted and saw it again. after thinking about "hardware interrupts" my thoughts progressed to the idea that maybe it was something about the IRQs that was causing the problem - perhaps shared IRQ's but XP-mce did not allow changing the interrupts. so after more searching i did find a possible solution that worked after the reboot (will it come back?).

step 1
open boot.ini
if you have no idea where it is (it was on D: for me!), go to system properties| advanced| startup&recovery/settings| edit
a how to:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/289022

step 2
add /pcilock after /fastdetect
about bootini switches:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721
about pcilock :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/148501

i did a screenshot of my IRQs before and after this fix and they appear the same, but the problem is gone.

Charlie.

Edited by Charlieb000 - 09 April 2012 at 7:17am
Charlieb000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlieb000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2012 at 10:04pm
after the above it did come back very occaisionally, but after a reboot it was gone again though if i medelled in the windows device manager would persist for more than that.

i eventually tracked the problem down to a faulty/incompatible intel network card  - it sometimes worked and would quit sometime through the windows session if i disconnected the cable (it was practically new when i got it, and yes my board is intel). i suspected it when windows would stop at "welcome" while i was messing with it - it once did the same when i medelled with device manager. so new advice: disable in the bios or remove all the hardware you can then try again. though if its intermittant it could be difficult so suspect the hardware behaving funny.

Charlie.
PS, remember to remove the /pcilock if you think you fixed it.

Edited by Charlieb000 - 23 June 2012 at 10:10pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic