Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Autoruns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Access denied

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Access denied
    Posted: 01 April 2012 at 11:22pm
My daughter started getting this message every time she boots Vista:
"Could not load or run C:\Users\Dix\LOCALS~1\Temp\a38efffe00015c71.exe specified in the registry. Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the registry" .

Windows explorer does not show that directory. She could not find it using Regedit but when she ran Sysinternals it showed up. When she tries to uncheck it or delete it she gets "Access Denied".

How can she get rid of the file?

MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 11:37am
Run Autoruns with Admin rights:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/How-do-I-run-an-application-once-with-a-full-administrator-access-token
Jambe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2012 at 5:05pm
Unfortunately, that doesn't work.

This is the report I got from my daughter:

I right click and Run as Administrator...
When I click to uncheck the box it says :"Error changing item state: access is denied".
If I right click and click Delete it says: "Error deleting start setting: access is denied".

What can she try now?

MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2012 at 11:46am
Is your daughter running an AntiVirus software which protects some registry locations?

If yes, she should disconnect from the internet, stop the AV tool, run AutoRuns as admin, disable the entries and activate the AV tool again.
metadings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote metadings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 April 2012 at 10:43am
You need to 'Jump to Entry', then right-click the key, click permissions/rights/security (or what it's called in english windows), then set full rights to yourself or to everyone. Then you should be able to delete it.
Jambe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jambe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2012 at 1:22am

Using metadings suggestion she was able to change permissions/rights and then was able to delete it.

Thank you.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic