Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Add Sysinternal programs to start menu

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Add Sysinternal programs to start menu
    Posted: 28 February 2008 at 8:43pm
Hello I'm new to using sysinternals programs and currently running them on windows vista ultimate.  I don't have a major problem, but because they don't "install" like normal programs do, they seem to not want to show up in the instant search from the start menu.  I downloaded the whole suite and at first placed in a folder called SYSINTERNALS in my C drive, then moved into the programs folder to see if Vista would index them there...  still they don't show up.

The files all show they are checked for indexing and archiving, but still don't show up from the start menu.  I have another program that works similarly without having to install itself called spacemonger that does show up, but strangely enough not how I thought it was.  I also have it sitting directly in my programs folder, but the copy that shows up in the instant search....  is actually sitting in a folder on my desktop in a documents and settings folder on the desktop from my other PC...

So why does vista's start menu add this little app buried inside a temporary backup folder I copied onto my desktop, but will not index or recognize these apps that are sitting directly in the programs folder?  I cannot even see the SYSINTERNALS folder when I open all programs folder view from the start menu?

Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 2:41am
Hi, Kular.

Seems as if you expect Vista to do some mystery work automatically. Lots of what Windows does may look like black magic to non-IT people, but in fact it is not. Windows only does what it is told to do. - Hm, ost of the time at least. - Wink

Anyway, I would like to suggest you read the following thread in order to find out how installing the Sysinternals suite works: Get All Sysinternals Tools as a Suite.

At the  end of this thread, you will be pointed to another thread, Start Menu for SysInternals Suite. This should help understand why by default there will be no Sysinternals entries inside the Windows start menu. And it should also explain one approach which you can use in order to get these entries. This means Windows will not create them for you out of its own accord.

HTH,
Karl

Kular View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 3:29pm
Thank's for you're reply, but I actually found what I was looking for.

I know they won't add as programs because they are stand alone apps and I don't want to change that, I love it!

All I wanted was Vista's instant search to simply show them since this is one feature in Vista that does get some decent use.

For anyone who wants to know it's a two step process:

First you need to open Vista's Indexing options from Control Pannel and modify the index locations to include the folder you want to be searched.

THEN you need to configure your start menu's properties to search the entire index, by default it only searches the current users folders.

Good little tutorial found here

Now I can quickly find my SYSINTERNALS folder and all the goodies inside!

PS - Vista does sometimes appear to work mysteriously even to IT people, espcially if you don't use it at work/home every day Wink
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 February 2008 at 4:25pm
Originally posted by Kular Kular wrote:

PS - Vista does sometimes appear to work mysteriously even to IT people
Touché.

Karl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic