Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Auto Logon (Windows 7)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engmod5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 5:05am
Originally posted by AGE2000 AGE2000 wrote:

I also cannot get autologon to work with Windows 7

I am using the same reg entries as XP x86, and it works fine.

Derek
regards

derek
AGE2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGE2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 1:48pm
uploads/30222/Temp.zip
Hi molotov,

in the attachment you find the winlogon section from Windows 7 and XP (for comparison) as well as the secrets section. The DefaultPassword does not have a real value. With XP on the same machine autologon works without password.

Best regards

Alex
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 September 2009 at 2:15pm
Are you specifying an account with a blank password?  Try using an account that has a password...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
AGE2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGE2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 September 2009 at 11:45am
Hi molotov,

sorry, if my last post was not clear. The account in Windows 7 has a password, only in XP it does not. However, I tried in W7 without a password too without success.

brgds Alex

agreen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agreen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2009 at 8:29am
take a look at article Windows 7 autologon: how to or at the software tool at the same site ... I checked it works for Win7
AGE2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGE2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 September 2009 at 10:28am
So, I got it working by manually editing the registry. The Winlogon section looks like this now (exceprt)

"AutoAdminLogon"="1"
"ForceAutoLogon"="1"
"DefaultUserName"="Alex"
"DefaultDomainName"="ION330"
"DefaultPassword"="go"

I also deleted the LSASecret / DefaultPassword after the first successful AutoLogon to make shure that it is not needed

Anyway I am confused why it did not work with all my earlier tries. I am sure, I had the current configuration before. Must be one of the many Windows miracles.

Alex
glynor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glynor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2009 at 10:29pm
So... I've ALSO tried this and it isn't working.  I'll try to provide ALL of the relevant details that were requested before in this thread up front.

Domain: none (set up as workgroup)

My account DOES have a password on this machine.

What I've done:

I haven't tried any of the other manual methods on this machine ever.  The only things I've done is this...

1. Tried using SysInternals' Autologon.exe application without running as an administrator (by accident).  This failed with the "unable to write" error, as expected.

2. Tried using SysInternals' Autologon.exe and manually running as Administrator.  I entered:
Username
Domain = computer's name
Password

When I do this, it appears to work (it gives the happy response).  But, it does not actually auto-logon.  It stops at the password page.

Relevant Registry Key Fields are attached:
uploads/30311/Autologon.reg.txt.zip

molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 11:42am
Alex - are you OK with the password being stored unencrypted in the registry?  (Assuming the password is go, or it has been deliberately changed for the purpose of posting here...)

Have you tried "control userpasswords2" from the Run box?
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 11:47am
Hi glynor,

As is noted, Autologon is a 32-bit app, so it runs into WOW64 registry direction and winds up writing to [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node...].  Perhaps, after running Autologon.exe as you indicated, try setting the AutoAdminLogon, DefaultUserName, and DefaultDomainName values in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon] to match what is set in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon], and see if that makes any impact...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
AGE2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGE2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 September 2009 at 12:23pm
Hi molotov,

i use autologon for kiosk systems which are protected by the application or do not have a keyboard anyway. So I donīt care about the visible password. Anyway for other purposes an encrypted password could be an advantage.

About control userpasswords2: It sets AutoAdminLogon, but it does not set ForceAutoLogon and does not set DefaultPassword, so it is of no help.

Best regards

Alex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic