Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BGinfo at startup

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hstiles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BGinfo at startup
    Posted: 06 November 2005 at 8:06pm

I want to use bginfo and place it in the startup to update the information at logon.  I placed bginfo.exe and the config file bgconfig.bgi at the root of C:\.  I want to set the timer to zero so it doesn't show at logon.  I do a command prompt and type in bginfo c:\bgconfig.bgi /TIMER:0 and hit enter.  I created a shortcut of bgconfg.bgi and placed it in the startup folder.  However, when I reboot or log off and back on the editor screen comes up doing it's count down.  What am I doing wrong?

gsfisher13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gsfisher13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2005 at 9:40pm
The target for the shortcut should be: C:\Bginfo.exe bginfo.bgi /timer:0, not just bginfo.bgi.
JayMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 12:42pm
Im  having the same problem and  can't seem to get  the timer:0 to stick.  I think there is some implied step Im missing here.  Any suggestion would be appreciated. 

The instructions say to type it in from the command line which Ive done and it immediately updates the snapshot but when I log out/in it still pops up the editor screen. 

I tried modifying the shortcut with the command and it would not allow it.

Obviously im not good w/cmd line stuff and am a little lost here.
sithlord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sithlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2005 at 10:16pm

I would suggest adding your bat file to the following:

Local Computer Policy-->User Configuration-->Windows Settings-->Scripts(Logon/Logoff)-->Logon

I personally place my BGInfo directory in Windows\System32\BGInfo.

Here is what my bat file looks like:

C:\windows\system32\bginfo\bginfo /ic:\windows\system32\BGInfo\logon.bgi /timer:0

JayMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JayMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2005 at 9:09am
Ah, it now works like a champ.  May the force be with you, Sithlord!
sithlord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sithlord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 November 2005 at 9:35pm

No problem!

Good to here you are working.

Daroma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daroma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2005 at 9:57am
If you want to skip working with batchfiles you also might try this:

-) place the BgInfo.exe and the logon.bgi in the
C:\windows\system32\bginfo\ directory

-) Then open Regedit or Regedt32.
-) Go to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion \Run
-) Make a new String value (REG_SZ) and name it BgInfo.
-) In the Value Data: C:\windows\system32\bginfo\BgInfo.exe C:\windows\system32\bginfo\logon.bgi /TIMER:0

-) Thats it! Now you don't see the Batch Pop-up...

I've implemented it on many servers and it works great.

Hope You can use it.

Greetz Daroma
BoJlk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BoJlk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2005 at 5:03am

The *.bat file as a logon scripts is a huge idea.
Registry is mostly used and efficient too.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic