Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

BGInfo won't run from Vista Task Scheduler

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordjynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2009 at 10:40pm
I also noticed in 64-bit, if the /ALL is specified, it doesn't create ANY .bmp files. 

I also noticed that if /ALL is used on 64-bit, the /POPUP doesn't work.  Have you tried this as well?

Edited by lordjynx - 08 June 2009 at 10:54pm
cooblob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooblob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2009 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by lordjynx lordjynx wrote:

I also noticed in 64-bit, if the /ALL is specified, it doesn't create ANY .bmp files. 

I also noticed that if /ALL is used on 64-bit, the /POPUP doesn't work.  Have you tried this as well?

I have given up on using the /ALL option. But, I can't even get it to update the current user desktop from TS. I have setup a task to run daily with multiple schedules, on System Startup, on User Login, and once an hour from 6:00am for 18 hours. I have tried running this with my account (current user), with the main admin account (not Administrator), and as SYSTEM. All I get is the bitmap updated and not the desktop. The log entry states:

An error occured while attempting to set the new desktop settings.
Please ensure the current user has rights to change desktop settings:
This operation requires an interactive window station.

Once again, here is the command line I am using:

C:\UTILS\Bginfo.exe c:\BGInfo\settings.bgi /log:c:\bginfo\bginfo.log /timer:0 /nolicprompt

The only time I can get it to update the desktop is by running from the Run command or a command line.

cooblob View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cooblob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 2:24pm
Okay, I finally have this working now. What I did was remove the Trigger for At System Startup, changed the command to run as my account, and selected the Run only when logged on option.
It now properly displays upon logon and then once an hour. I have not tested whether it would work for another user logging on, but I rarely use another account to login and noone else uses this machine, so that is not as critical for me.
lordjynx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordjynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2009 at 7:50pm
I guess I'll move back to the other posting then since I can't do that here :)

haha...
Taomyn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Taomyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2009 at 2:29pm
Out of curiosity, why use the task scheduler? Why not the HKLM "Run" key in the registry?

I was having issues with 4.05 under Windows 2008 Server x64 a while back, similar problem that the background would not update (plus my processor wasn't listed correctly), and revisited it today with 4.15.

I now have it running just how I want with:
"C:\Windows\bginfo.exe /timer:0 /iC:\Windows\bginfo.bgi"
from string value called "BGInfo" in:
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
as I have on all my systems, though not in Wow6432Node for 32bit machines of course.
lordjynx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lordjynx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2009 at 6:25pm
I have mine using the task scheduler so the background updates occasionally.... do a local run you can't do that if you leave the session logged in.
pindurs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pindurs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 8:29pm
I had exactly the same problem, and solved it this way:

When you check the properties of the task, you can add the path in "start in folder" field.
You can copy the path from the properties of your executable.

No idea why you have to precise it, but now my task is finally working fine in Vista !

Cheers
pindurs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pindurs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 July 2009 at 10:13pm
I think it's due to the use of CurrentDirectory in the executable, which probably returns the directory of Task Manager ...
hamer1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hamer1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2010 at 4:25pm
I had this issue aswell...i added the EulaAccepted dword value to HK_USERS =1

I also had to add the path to the BGI config file aswell:

inside the task scheduler there is

Program\Script
C:\BGINFO\BGINFO.EXE

In the add arguments I had to use
c:\bginfo\config.bgi /all /timer:0
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic