Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > PsTools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cannot find the file specified

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breunor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cannot find the file specified
    Posted: 22 November 2005 at 10:58am
Hello all,

I've read the help articles explaining switches and looked through this forum for a similar issue and did not find an answer. I'm trying to run a flash player 8 install on a WinXP pro machine, using psexec on another WinXP pro machine. The file is flash8.msi and I have tried copying the file both to c:\ and c:\windows\ to get it within the path. I have domain admin rights already, but have also tried using local admin rights to run the file. Under every combination listed below, the app always comes back saying, "the system cannot find the file specified". I have psexec.exe located on the root of C, along with the msi file.

psexec \\remotemachine -u admin -p pword flash8.msi
psexec \\remotemachine -u admin -p pword -c flash8.msi
psexec \\remotemachine -c flash8.msi
psexec \\remotemachine -u admin -p pword -w c:\windows flash8.msi
psexec \\remotemachine -u admin -p pword -w c:\ c:\windows\flash8.msi

I've tried other combinations of the above as well, but every single time it says the file can't be found. psexec does run and tries to reach the msi file, so it's the msi file that can't be found, not psexec. Does anyone know what part of the puzzle I am missing? Thank you!

Edited by breunor
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 November 2005 at 4:59pm
Good evening, breunor.

I am pretty sure the problem is that flash8.msi is not an executable file itself.
If you doubleclick on an .msi file locally, you actually launch msiexec.exe which loads the .msi file.
If you want to launch an .msi file remotely using psexec, you will have to specify the complete msiexec.exe commandline to psexec.

So your psexec command line should look more or less like this:
psexec \\remotemachine -i -u admin -p pword msiexec.exe /i c:\windows\flash8.msi

More or less means: I am not absolutely sure about the correct syntax for msiexec.exe, I just got this syntax from the registry section about MSI.Packages.

Note also, please:
  • msiexec.exe by default is located in %windir%\system32. So no path is needed. But it would not do any harm.

• c:\windows\flash8.msi assumes that flash8.msi is located there on the remote machine as you said.

• Note the -i and /i switches: -i tells psexec to open an installer window on the remote machine so you can interact with the installer there. /i is directed to msiexec.exe and I guess means "install" as opposed to "uninstall" or "repair"

• psexec.exe needs to be on the local machine where you launch the psexec command, but it is irrelevant if psexec.exe exists on the remote machine or not, because psexec will extract a temporary service named psexesvc.exe to the remote machine and use it for communication with the remote machine.

Now so far for the theory. The command line I just gave you may work. Or it may not.
Actually, I have not tested it (yet), but constructed it from what I learnt by using psexec.
Be warned that there exist quite a few reports of forum users telling that they did not succeed in using psexec to launch .msi files. (I assume you read some of them.)

Hope my lengthy explanation may prove helpful one way or other nonetheless.

And do not hesitate to let us know if you succeeded and how or if you encountered further problems.

Kind regards,
Karl

Edited by Karlchen
Harlan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harlan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 November 2005 at 9:39pm
With no psexec running, check for and delete any versions of psexesvc.exe in the remote admin$ or system32 folders. You may have to stop the service first. It is now copied to system32 and removed when exited.

Edited by Harlan
Harlan
malamutej View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malamutej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2005 at 1:02am

Hi Breunor & Karlchen,

I am so happy i found this post.. i am having the exact same problem with the bloody flash .msi  ..I am testing in dev with DA creds.

Here it is:

"C:\tools\pstools\psexec \\remotecomputer msiexec.exe /i c:\flash.msi

also

C:\tools\pstools\psexec \\remotecomputer c:\winnt\system32\msiexec.exe /i c:\flash.msi

Both produce

PsExec v1.60 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

msiexec.exe exited on remotecomputer with error code 1603."

On the remotecomputer i get a psexec popup to restart application... hoping there is away to do this ..any other advice would be greatly appricated.

Regards

MJ

jwray239 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwray239 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 January 2006 at 5:19pm

Don't know if ypou have found a workaround yet but when i deal with msi's i call them from a DOS window

psexec \\machine cmd /c msiexec /i path to msi

NYIntensity View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NYIntensity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2006 at 8:06am

For a msi (especially the adobe ones) a restart is usually required. I create a batch file with the following:

msiexec /i \\server\share\acro\acro8\ar.msi /qn
shutdown -r -t 180 -c "Your computer was recently updated with Adobe Acrobat Reader 8.0, and will restart in 3 minutes. You can get rid of this message box by completing a manual restart, or drag the box out of the way until you have time."

You can then call the batch file:

psexec \\machine -u user -p password \\share\adobe.bat

Shirish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 1:16am

Hi All,

I am facing the same problem of “The system cannot find the file specified.” for following command.

psexec \\remotemachine -u admin -p pword abc.vbs

But if I run the file through command prompt ie.

psexec \\remotemachine -u admin -p pword cmd.exe 

C:\WINDOWS\system32>abc.vbs

it will work.

I have found a workaround but the problem still exists if I tried to execute the file directly.

Edited by Shirish - 05 January 2007 at 1:21am
Regards,

Shirish
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 2:23am
Try
psexec \\remotemachine -u admin -p pword -e cscript.exe //B <path_to>\abc.vbs

Note:
Add -e cscript.exe //B to your command line.
Replace <path_to>\by the absolute path specification to abc.vbs, else it will not be found.

Karl
Shirish View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shirish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 January 2007 at 2:54am

Hi Karl,

Thanks for quick reply.

psexec \\remotemachine -u admin -p pword -e cscript.exe //B <path_to>\abc.vbs

working fine.

Regards,

Shirish
drambo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2007 at 12:51pm
I am doing an automated installation of Webex software to about 200 computers, and I was also getting error messages that msiexec was  exiting with error code 1603.

I looked in the application log on one of the machines that was returning this error, and found the following entry:

"Product: WebEx Meeting Manager for Internet Explorer -- Internal Error 2103. 26"

Upon Googling for Internal Error 2103. 26, I found this page in the MS Knowledge Base. In a nutshell, it details an issue with Visual Studio .NET whereby the process has trouble running correctly because of the user profile.

The fix they suggest is to pass the ALLUSERS=2 property with your msiexec arguments. I tried this, and lo and behold, it worked.

So as it turns out, psexec is working perfectly. This is an msiexec kludge I was butting my head against. Hopefully, this will be useful information to someone else out there having the dreaded 1603 issue.

Here's what my final line of psexec code looks like:

psexec \\machinename -u username -p password msiexec /i "c:\atmcie.msi" /qn ALLUSERS=2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic