Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Catalogs screwed (again) [FIXED]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Catalogs screwed (again) [FIXED]
    Posted: 20 April 2009 at 12:00am
Symptoms
  1. Running Windows system apps elevated shows an orange UAC prompt with "Unidentified Publisher".
  2. Starting those same apps takes a long, long time.
  3. In C:\Windows\System32\catroot2\dberr.txt you see many errors such as: "catadnew.cpp at line #1131 encountered error 0x00000057" or "catdbcli.cpp at line #502 encountered error 0x000005b4"

Cause
The catalog files in C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 are corrupt.

Solution
  1. Stop Cryptographic Services (cryptsvc) by running "net stop cryptsvc".
  2. Delete or rename the C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 folder.
  3. Start cryptsvc by running "net start cryptsvc".
  4. C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 will be recreated. If it is not, restart the computer.
  5. Wait for all the catalog files from C:\Windows\System32\catroot to be imported into the catroot2 database. This may take up to an hour, so be patient.

Edited by wj32 - 20 April 2009 at 2:04am
PH, a free and open source process viewer.
MoridinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoridinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 3:24pm
i'm running win 7 pro 64 bit sp1

I have  a similar problem, however, I get these errors in the dberr.txt file when the system tries to rebuild the db's in the catroot2 folder.

I've no idea what is wrong.  My drivers are up to date.  I'm trying to avoid a reinstall but I have no other suggestions.

Jet Init Corruption
Catdbsvc.cpp encountered JET error -583
waitsvc.cpp encountered error 0x00000005
catdbcli.cpp encountered error 0x00000005
catdbcli.cpp encountered error 0x00000426
catadnew.cpp encountered error 0x00000426

Edited by MoridinUK - 09 October 2012 at 3:25pm
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 8:40pm
426 = service not running:

ERROR_SERVICE_NOT_ACTIVE                                      winerror.h
The service has not been started.

Is the crypro service running in Windows?
MoridinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoridinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 October 2012 at 10:48pm
The Services snap-in thinks it is...

But there are a ton of CAP2 errors in the event log:

Event ID 257 "The cryptographic Services service failed to initialize the Catalog Database. The ESENT error was : -583."

So no I don't think it is. The only web solution I've found for this error is to delete the catroot2 folder and let the system rebuild it, which apparently it can't do :S...

I think I'll just have to try a reinstall although this is a fresh install.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 6:38am
-583 =

#define    JET_errSectorSizeNotSupported            -583    /* The physical sector size reported by the disk subsystem, is unsupported by ESE for a specific file type. */

So do you run a 4k/512e drive? If yes, install the hotfixes mentioned here:

Information about Microsoft support policy for large-sector drives in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2510009
MoridinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoridinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 6:51am
I have a seagate 320 Momentus Thin, st320lt007:

Bytes per physical sector 4096
Physical read/write heads 2 
Disks 1
Cache (MB) 16
Recording density in BPI (bits/in avg) 1397k
Track density TPI (tracks/in avg) 315k
Areal density (Gb/in2 avg) 425

So certainly it is a 4k drive but I'm not sure about the 512e part?

But it is probably worth a try anyway.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 8:15am
read here about 512e:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Format#Advanced_Format_512e

you have a 4K HDD and this seems to be the cause. So install the Update for your Windows 7 and see if this fixes it.
MoridinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoridinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 10:05am
Well I've downloaded it, though the kb article suggests it is inculded in SP1 which I should have loaded as I used a sp1 iso to install win7 from.

However the installer wont run it gives this error: "Installer encountered an error: 0xc8000247"

I've seen a few articles on this that say it has something to do with the windows update service, but mine isn't running properly.  I assume because of this 4k issue.

How do I get this installed?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 10:35am
No, the update also applies to Sp1.

To apply this hotfix, you must be running one of the following operating systems:
  • Windows 7
  • Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Look here how to fix the error:

http://www.technoyl.com/how-to-fix-0xc8000247-windows-update-standalone-installer-encountered-error
MoridinUK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MoridinUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2012 at 11:10am
I Have already tired that, there was nothing to delete in the downloads folder and it didn't work. Not sure how stopping and starting the windows update service would do anything on it's own?

I'm about to start building a slipstream installer with the update already in it.  Not sure what else to try.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic