Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Utilities Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Context Menu Cleaner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xiph1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Context Menu Cleaner
    Posted: 09 August 2011 at 3:55pm

One of my most hated pet peeves of Vista/7 is the extremely cluttered context menu and [new] sub menu. With XP this was relatively easy to clean however it's nigh impossible with the new registry-based system.

I would really love to see a SysInternals tool that would go through through the registry and display the results in such a way that you can just select and clear the items you don't want to have, perhaps saved in a way that you can reset them if necessary. I could of course just browse through the registry and delete all the ShellNew entries I find, but I kinda hate messing with the registry through the standard regedit app. Too big of a chance to mess things up. It also takes ages doing it the manual way.

[edit]
I assume most of you know this, but just for clarification, the context menu is the menu you see after right-clicking on the desktop or in explorer.

Furthermore, I would also like to thank Mark and Bryce for their utilities that have saved me from many hours of work over the past few years. Never registered on the forum before as I just didn't know there was any :)

Edited by Xiph1980 - 09 August 2011 at 5:49pm
tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 7:50pm
You can see context menu handlers in autoruns...

Xiph1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xiph1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2011 at 9:47pm
Thanks tamahome, I did not know that. I've just downloaded it and on the main items it works allright. Not always completely clear what you're disabling though, but that's because it's a registry-based representation of the context menu, and in my opinion, the registry is a huge abomination. Prefer the .conf files in *nix, but that's just personal maybe :)

I don't see a possibility to clear out the [new] menu using autoruns though. 
tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2011 at 1:17pm

You can google the registry entries for the 'new' entries.  Autoruns doesn't cover that.

Xiph1980 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xiph1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2011 at 10:26pm
Sorry to say, but "duh". That's what I said in my previous post(s). I know I can google how to remove the new entries, but as you might've noticed, not all information on teh interwebz is 100% accurate, and even though I do know /how/ to do it, that's not the issue I raised in my first post.
1: I wouldn't mind having a menu driven app that just clearly states what it's deleting, and not that you have to search through the entire registry for all "ShellNew" entries, with the risk of accidentally deleting a wrong entry and fubarring your entire system.
2: App with menu is faster, making it easier to do so with multiple systems.
3: Having a GUI app with the option to check, uncheck or delete entries, makes it easier to reinstate options that you have disabled.

Edited by Xiph1980 - 16 August 2011 at 10:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic