Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Defrag program

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Kaikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Defrag program
    Posted: 20 October 2006 at 5:03pm
I tried running, from the source, the defrag program that I found somewhere at the Sysinternals web site.

I;m not really a C/C++ programmer, so could somebody tell me what the following means? It's from a log file created by C++ in VS .NET 2003.

Build Log

------- Build started: Project: defrag, Configuration: Debug|Win32 -------

Command Lines

Creating temporary file  "g:\HKFiles-G\Utilities\SystemInternals\DiskDefragmenting\Co py of OriginalDiskDefragmenting\Defrag\Debug\RSP000003.rsp" with contents
[
/Od /D "WIN32" /D "_DEBUG" /D "_CONSOLE" /FD /EHsc /MLd /Fp".\Debug/DEFRAG.pch" /Fo".\Debug/" /Fd".\Debug/" /W3 /c /ZI /TC
".\Defrag.c"
]
Creating command line "cl.exe @ "g:\HKFiles-G\Utilities\SystemInternals\DiskDefragmenting\Co py of OriginalDiskDefragmenting\Defrag\Debug\RSP000003.rsp" /nologo"
Creating temporary file "g:\HKFiles-G\Utilities\SystemInternals\DiskDefragmenting\Co py of OriginalDiskDefragmenting\Defrag\Debug\RSP000004.rsp" with contents
[
/OUT:".\Debug/DEFRAG.exe" /VERSION:400 /INCREMENTAL:NO /NOLOGO /DEBUG /PDB:".\Debug/DEFRAG.pdb" /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE /MACHINE:X86 kernel32.lib user32.lib gdi32.lib winspool.lib comdlg32.lib advapi32.lib shell32.lib ole32.lib oleaut32.lib uuid.lib odbc32.lib odbccp32.lib
".\debug\defrag.obj"
]
Creating command line "link.exe @ "g:\HKFiles-G\Utilities\SystemInternals\DiskDefragmenting\Co py of OriginalDiskDefragmenting\Defrag\Debug\RSP000004.rsp""
Output Window

Compiling...
Defrag.c
Linking...
LINK : warning LNK4075: ignoring '/EDITANDCONTINUE' due to '/INCREMENTAL:NO' specification
Results

Build log was saved at  "file://g:\HKFiles-G\Utilities\SystemInternals\DiskDefragmen ting\Copy of OriginalDiskDefragmenting\Defrag\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
defrag - 0 error(s), 1 warning(s)

LZW2006 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LZW2006 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2006 at 9:12pm

it means there was an error and the program used debug.print or some api to capture error information to a file... I never heard that sysinternals made a defrag program! I must be out of date.

Sysinternals are experts at making utils which expose the ugly underbelly of windows (including disk read/write activity) but to defrag a hard drive? This is not their arena.

Howard Kaikow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard Kaikow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2006 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by LZW2006 LZW2006 wrote:

it means there was an error and the program used debug.print or some api to capture error information to a file... I never heard that sysinternals made a defrag program! I must be out of date.

Sysinternals are experts at making utils which expose the ugly underbelly of windows (including disk read/write activity) but to defrag a hard drive? This is not their arena.

The program is associated with Mark Russinovich's article "Inside Windows NT Disk Defragging" from 1997.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic