Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Deploy BGInfo via GPO

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote apperrault Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Deploy BGInfo via GPO
    Posted: 13 July 2005 at 12:24pm
Hi everyone,
Does anyone know if it is possible to deploy BGInfo via Windows 2003 GPOs?  If so, how would I make sure that it puts it in the Startup folder, I want this on the desktops of all my computers.

Thanks much

aaron
D1rtyJ00 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D1rtyJ00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2005 at 1:46pm
You can always push a login script via group policy, and have bginfo run from a network share so it doesn't get copied to each system.
caryfields View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caryfields Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2005 at 12:11pm
Just a minute ago I created a .msi file using SMS Installer, and attached it to an assigned GPO.  It will silently install bginfo.  I have it copy the files to the windows folder so I can have users run bginfo from the command prompt rather than on their desktop background.  If you want the specifics you can PM me.
bkc972004 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkc972004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2009 at 5:00pm
Hi,

I am facing a problem while deploying the bginfo using gpo.
I created a batch file bginfo.bat and added these below mentioned lines inside:-
\\servername\sysvol\abc.com\scripts\BGInfo\Bginfo.exe \\servername\sysvol\abc.com\scripts\BGInfo\BGInfo.bgi /Timer:0 /NoLicPrompt

I kept that batch file in gpo under user settings\windows settings\scripts (logon\logoff) But it is not working. Even if i run this batch file manually also its not running.

Then i copied these files under c drive of a user's system and created one more batch file and added these lines

C:\BGInfo\BGInfo.exe C:\BGInfo\BGInfo.bgi /timer:0 /NoLicPrompt

It is still not working. but when i click on log off button then it shows in the background. It means it is running in the backend only but not showing on the desktop when any user is logged in.

Please let me know some hint.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 September 2009 at 2:39pm
Hi Brijesh,

What does the dialog that appears when you click the Desktops button look like?
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
kghammond View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kghammond Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 September 2009 at 7:28pm
We are deploying BGInfo using Group Policy Prefernces.

We put our BGInfo exe and config file on the \\domain\netlogon\...  share.  We then create a shortcut to \\domain\netlogon\...\bginfo.exe via GPP and place it in the All Users Startup Start Menu folder.

This works great.

Alternatively you could use GPP to put the bginfo.exe and config file on the C:\ and then create the same shortcut and point it at c:\...

The benefit of using GPP, is that we have this only applied to our server GPO's.

Now, if bginfo would only shupport shadowing like backinfo :(

Kevin
akshay.manke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akshay.manke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2010 at 11:30am
Hello Aaron,

There is a way for your need......

Firstly you need to customize the Bginfo.exe as per your requirement then,

Create a .adm file using the following script.

CLASS MACHINE
 CATEGORY !!BGInfoCustomSettings
 POLICY !!EnableBGInfo
 KEYNAME "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\Run"
 EXPLAIN !!EnableBGInfo_Explain
 PART !!BGInfoPath EDITTEXT EXPANDABLETEXT
 VALUENAME "PRG_BGInfo"
 END PART
 END POLICY
 END CATEGORY

[Strings]
 BGInfoCustomSettings="BGInfo Policy"
 EnableBGInfo="Enable BGInfo"
 EnableBGInfo_Explain="Specify the path to your BGInfo batch file here."
 BGInfoPath="BGInfo Path:"

After creating the above file create a new GPO or open an existing.
 Right Click on Computer Configuration then click on Add/Remove Templates, Then Click on Add and Give the path of .adm file, that we have created.
Click on Close.

After that, the new Setting will appear in the Administrative Templates "BGInfo Policy".
Open the Container and double click on the policy setting "Enable BGInfo".
Then click on Enable and then enter the path of the customized BGInfo.exe file with /timer:0 Switch and click Apply and OK. (For Example  C:\testsystem\bginfo.exe /timer:0)

Now Update the policy settings using gpupdate /force (On both Client and Server also) and check.

Akshay N Manke.

Akshay N Manke
System Admin
mrmaceurope View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrmaceurope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 February 2010 at 8:52pm
Akshay,

Thank you for the ADM template - it works just fine, well that is - I get a Security Warning when the GPO is executing my bginfo.cmd script from the DC1 share.

Environment:
DC1:
\\dc01\c$\Tools\bginfo\<all execs and scripts etc are located here>

Other servers are pointing to the above path/bginfo.cmd from the GPO.

Question:
Any hints to get around the Security Warning? Do I have to copy the file to each server or ?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic