Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Desktops- something went wrong

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thelilgeek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Desktops- something went wrong
    Posted: 05 February 2013 at 7:43pm
After I messed with Desktops the other day, I am having some issues.
When I press Alt + Tab I get the old style app switcher where several of the icons have no name.
One of the icons is called snapped Desktop and another is immersive Background. Neither do anything but take focus from the current window.
Some of the others work, such as search, especially if I have applications open. I tried to run Desktops again to see if it would correct the issue, but it didn't.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running Windows 8 Pro 64-bit.

Thanks
Greg
weiqigao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote weiqigao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 4:38am

I have exactly the same problem.  I just upgraded to Windows 8 Pro 64-bit last weekend.  And I really like the new Windows 8 style tiled app icons in the start screen and the way Alt-Tab worked, with bigger tiles showing the app's screenshot flipping by.

Then I downloaded Desktops 2.0 and started it on the Desktop side of Windows 8.  I switched to Desktop 2, etc. for a while.  And I switched between the new start screen and the Desktop by pressing the Windows Key.  I also used the Alt-Tab key to switch between my running applications.  Somewhere along the line, I don't remember when, but within a couple of hours of me starting to use Desktops.exe 2.0, I noticed that the Alt-Tab key bring up a Windows-XP style task switcher.  Many of the icons are generic-looking newspaper-like icons except a few, such as Internet Explorer.  I also saw the "Snapped Desktop" and "Immersive Background" that thelilgeek saw.
Searching the Internet with search strings like "Windows 8 Alt-Tab not behaving correctly" does not yield any fixes for my problem.  This post is the first one I saw that mentioned the exact problem that I experienced.  Of course I haven't seen any solutions anywhere, and I don't know the solution.  This post is just to second the first post and give evidence that the original poster is not alone.

The Windows Key+Tab still work as before.
--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@gmail.com
http://weiqigao.blogspot.com
weiqigao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote weiqigao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2013 at 1:47am
Upon further searching/browsing, I came upon this link:
  http://superuser.com/questions/537722/alt-tab-box-displaying-hidden-programs-in-windows-8

which offered a fix which worked for me.  My problem is solved.
--
Weiqi Gao
weiqigao@gmail.com
http://weiqigao.blogspot.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic