Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Determine whether executable is 32- or 64-bit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNissen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Determine whether executable is 32- or 64-bit
    Posted: 15 September 2009 at 5:23pm
I'm a Windows technical person, so I'm almost embarassed to say I don't know the answer to this question:

What's the easiest way for a user to determine if a Windows application is 32- or 64-bit (or even 16-bit)?  The user won't understand that an application is made of multiple EXEs, DLLS, and OCXs, each with its own characteristics, but they can probably be led to the EXE attached to the shortcut that launches the program.  I also assume they can "Run as Administrator" if that's what it takes to get this information.

Do not assume the program can be launched (so that a process could be inspected); I need an answer for examining properties of the EXE file itself.

If possible, I'd like an answer that doesn't require anything not built into Windows.  But, if absolutely necessary, I'm willing to use a SysInternals utility ;-)

Can anyone give me a quick answer, please?  Students are waiting...                     Sande

Edited by SNissen - 15 September 2009 at 5:24pm
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 2:44am
Hi Sande,

Dependency Walker comes to mind.  The 32-bit version can guess at a 16-bit module, and identify a 32-bit or 64-bit one.
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
redhawk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 10:16am
The executable header contains information regarding the target OS and processor.
If you need to quickly check individual files then MiTeC's EXE Explorer would come highly recommended.

Richard S.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 September 2009 at 10:42am
To "roll your own", check out GetBinaryType...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
SNissen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNissen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 September 2009 at 4:43am
I appreciate those of you who offered responses.  I think Dependency Walker, like SysInternal's Process Explorer, is just too confusing for this simple purpose.  And I'm not trying to do any programming, so GetBinaryType doesn't help.

But I think I can make use of MiTeC's EXE Explorer.  First: it requires no installation, though I wish something in Windows could do this.  Second, it's simple enough: I ask the user to run it on their PC, open the EXE file of the program in question, and read me the Machine: field from the displayed Header tab.  (I also find the manifest information on the Resource tab interesting, when it exists.)  Third, its license is clear: absolutely free for anyone to use for personal or commercial use.  (That's an uncommonly clear and generous license statement.)

So, for today, I'll use EXE Explorer.  Though, if anyone out there knows a way to get this information without a third party utility, I'd still like to hear about it here.          Sande

Edited by SNissen - 17 September 2009 at 4:45am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic