Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Disk2vhd
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Disk2VHD with multiple partitions.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indigo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Disk2VHD with multiple partitions.
    Posted: 11 August 2010 at 5:53pm

I have a 300GB disk with three partitions: [100GB][120GB][80GB].

I created two VHD files, one for the 100GB partition (vhd1), and one for the 120GB partition (vhd2).

Even though my vhd files are each for a single partition, each vhd seems to retain information regarding the overall size of the disk, and the position of the partition on the disk. This is in agreement with the documentation: "[Disk2VHD] preserves the partitioning information of the disk, but only copies the data contents for volumes on the disk that are selected".

When I tried to attach vhd1 to a Virtual PC VM, I get the 'VHD too big' error, but I was able to fix it using VHDResizer, which realizes that although the original disk was 300GB, the contents of vhd1 are really only [100GB] . So VHDResizer removes the 'empty' [120GB] and [80GB] sections and reduces vhd1 down to 100GB. Super.

But, when I tried to use VHDResizer to resize vhd2, it will only reduce down to 220GB. It looks like vhd2 can only be reduced by the amount of the empty third partition, and so it still contains [100GB] + [120GB].

Does anyone know how I can fix vhd2 to reduce it's size down to the size of it's real content of [120GB]?

Many thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic