Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Enormeous system process kernel time after booting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Enormeous system process kernel time after booting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vilaemail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Enormeous system process kernel time after booting
    Posted: 03 February 2013 at 10:59pm
Hello everyone.

My computer configuration is as follows:
------------------
System Information
------------------
   Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120503-2030)
System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
       System Model: 965P-DS3
               BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
          Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.4GHz
             Memory: 4096MB RAM

I have installed KIS 2013.

My computer freezes a lot on boot time so i tried finding the root cause. I think it is related either to avp.exe (KIS 2013 service) or ntoskrnl.exe.

After about 15-30 seconds from logon System process and avp for about 2+ minutes start using ~55% of CPU. At the end the System process kernel time is 2 minutes and avp process kernel time is 1+ minute. I tried localizing what threads are using so much time and what are they actually doing. Using Process explorer i found out that responsible thread from System process is in Wait:WrFreePage state with start address ntoskrnl.exe!WheaAttemptPhysicalPageOffline+0x350. Also i provide a screenshot of my problem with data from Process hacker.

http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/52/cpuv.png

Please note that I don't have too advanced knowledge about Windows, but I am rather trying to investigate and solve problem. Since this problem, and associated data I am posting, is mostly out of my domain of knowledge I would gladly provide more info and appreciate any help offered.

Thanks in advance. :)
WindowsStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindowsStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 6:46am
I would remove KIS 2013 and see if the problem goes away. If it does you found the problem. If not use your restore points to go back to just before you installed KIS 2013 (I think KIS creates one before installing). If that fixes your problem then again KIS is the problem. -WS
dirbase View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dirbase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 8:15am
Your symbols are not resolving right
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 7:34pm
run xperf:

http://forum.sysinternals.com/windows-7-ntoskrnlexe-spiking-problem_topic28929_post138124.html#138124

and upload the trace file.
vilaemail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vilaemail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:49pm
Hi guys, I have run xpref yesterday since i saw a lot of references to it in other threads. I will upload and send you the trace via PM.

Also, I have miss expressed myself. I am using KIS 2013 for about 1 month (I used KIS 2012 before). But I can't quite pinpoint the exact moment this problem started occurring. Anyway I can't use system restore since a lot has changed in the mean time. I will now try to uninstall KIS and see if the problem persists.
vilaemail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vilaemail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 February 2013 at 9:52pm
OK I have sent the trace to MagicAndre. Dirbase what are you exactly referring to with symbols not loading right? How can I dig deeper into this, find out what is the problem and resolve it?

Thanks in advance.
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 5:28am
ntkrnlmp.exe!KeZeroPages is the cause of the high CPU usage by the kernel. Before using memory again, the data must be zeroed and  this is what this does.

The kaspersky CPU usage come from the file klavasyswatch.dll.ada3b055411dce56062b97586745b394. You should really remove KIS and try a different tool. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic