Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > PsTools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Executing msiexec returns error code 1619

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjgionta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Executing msiexec returns error code 1619
    Posted: 12 February 2008 at 8:53am
Hi everyone,

I know there is alot of information out there on remote installs but I have read most of them and I can't find a solution to my problem.

I am runnin the command psexec.exe \\testMachine -u adminuser -p password -i -s msiexec.exe -i \\share\file.msi -q USERPROFILE=LocalOnly.  However, I continuously get an error code 1619.  This code means that the file cannot be opened or doesn't exist.  The share has read right access for all Authenticated Users. 

When I remote into testMachine under the same adminuser and password and run msiexec.exe -i \\share\file.msi -q USERPROFILE=LocalOnly it installs fine. 

I can access the share through the psexec command using an xcopy to copy the msi locally to the testmachine and then install.  But I cannot install off a share.

I am led to believe that even though I'm using local admin credentials, the msiexec is not be run as that user and msiexec is being run by some service on the machine.  Has anyone see this issue and/or know a solution?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Jason
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 12:56pm
Hi, Jason.

Quote I am led to believe that even though I'm using local admin credentials, the msiexec is not be run as that user and msiexec is being run by some service on the machine.
Please, lookup the meaning of the psexec option "-s" by using "psexec -?".
Remove "-s" from your psexec commandline and try again.

HTH,
Karl
jjgionta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjgionta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 7:07am
Hi Karl,

Thanks for the response.  You were on the money.  I knew the -s told the process to run in a system account, but I didn't know it would affect my -u -p options.

However, ideally I would not like to pass the username and password through the command and use the credentials of the current user to call the command.

If I remove the -u -p options and run the command as the Admin user I still get the 1619 error code.

Recap:
psexec.exe \\testMachine -u adminuser -p password -i msiexec.exe -i \\share\file.msi -q USERPROFILE=LocalOnly  
This command works however user loging and password are passed to command and unencrypted.

psexec.exe \\testMachine -i msiexec.exe -i \\share\file.msi -q USERPROFILE=LocalOnly     
This command is executed as adminuser however now I get the 1619 error code. 

How do I use the currently profile as credentials.

Thanks again for all of your help,

Jason
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:02am
Hello,  jjgionta.

The answer to your last question will be found here:

32. PsExec: What is the difference between implicit authentication and explicit authentication? which will lead you to this thread: psexec - remote share problem.

You either use explicit authentication (-u admin -p passw) and may have access to network shares. Or you use implicit authentication and will loose access to all network resources which your account normally would have on the target machine.

You cannot have both. Sorry.

Regards,
Karl
--
P.S.:
Note that starting with psexec v1.80 the meaning of "-e" has been reverted. So you will not need it. The referenced thread is pretty old and therefore still tells to use "-e". This piece of advice is no longer valid.

jjgionta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjgionta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 9:28am
Thank you so much for taking the time to clear this up.
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 11:50am
Hi, jjgionta.

You're welcome.

The difference between explicit and implicit authentication (and the fact that the two are different at all) frequently slips attention. Or to be more precise, most users will not be aware that Windows makes a difference between the two forms of authentication.

Regards,
Karl
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic