Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Explorer uses all CPU/Memory after logon

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LonkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Explorer uses all CPU/Memory after logon
    Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:11pm
I am having a similar problem to the gentleman that posted this post:

http://www.sysinternals.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=3950

I also use nview with dual displays. However, my problem occurs directly after logon (in safe mode as well) and I can therefore not easily start Process Explorer to determine the cause. A brief summary:

After logon, I can see in Task Manager that Explorer starts to utilitize all CPU. Furthermore all my other processes start to decrease in memory very quickly until they are all utilizing almost no memory at all (all processes except explorer, which stays at a normal memory count of about 15-30MB). The system slows to a crawl and I can do nothing but shut it off and start again.

I used ERD Commander 2005 to access Windows System Restore and rolled back to a restore point from a couple days ago. Everything was fine for about a day, then the problem started to occur again... I came home from work and the system was sluggish, so I rebooted. Once again, after logging in the above situation started occurring again. Since it also occurs in Safe Mode, how can I diagnose this issue?? I am about to reboot again (using Firefox from ERD Commander right now) to try to get Process Explorer started and will see if I can find the precise cause of this issue. In the meantime, any suggestions would be VERY helpful! Thanks,

LonkNY
LonkNY View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LonkNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 7:20pm
By the way, in searching around on this issue I found these notes that may or may not help in figuring out this issue (it's not much, but I surprisingly have been having a bit of a hard time finding similar issues out there, except the one post I mention in my article above... part of the issue is what to search on... I have tried "explorer memory CPU logon" etc. but many of the search results concern Internet Explorer issues and whatnot)... Not listed here is also the suggestion that it is probably an Explorer Shell Extension and that I can use Process Explorer to figure out which one is giving me the problem... will let you know how it goes. Thanks for any help you can provide... here are some of the notes/suggestions I have found...

Start the Control Panel Display applet.
Select the Appearance tab.
Click Effects, then clear the "Use the following transition effect for menus and tooltips" check box.
Click OK to close all dialog boxes.

You may want to try changing your theme to "Windows Classic".
Go to control panel - Display - Theme - Change to Windows Classic.

you can close explorer by going |Start|Shutdown|hold Ctrl+Alt+Shift
while clicking on 'Cancel'

I have had the same problem, and I tracked it down to "Microsoft File and Print Sharing". After this was removed from the Network Drivers, I found that the problem of freezes and Explorer being at 99% Stopped. If you do not need people to share your files and printers on your machine, try removing it from the network driver.

1) I monitor everything that installs on my system with Total Uninstall - it tells me what registry entries have been added/deleted/changed. I use it to uninstall applications and then can clean the "remnants" out manually.

2) I backup my registry daily. I use ERUNT. It's free, and the readme file in it has a good method for automating the backups.

3) If there is a problem with the registry that absolutely requires a "cleaner" I will only use NTREGOPT (from the same folks that made ERUNT). I do hear that the free version of JV16 PowerTools is good also.

Easy Cleaner is an excellent Registry Cleaner and has never been known to cause any problems at all. It seems to operate on the side of caution. I also use RegClean.exe from Microsoft. It too, does it's job effectively and Never causes any problem.

NTREGOPT is a registry defragmenter/compressor and does NOT remove one single bit or one single line, no matter how corrupt or just plain WRONG it may be. It compresses/compacts the registry and that's it! Since the registry has to load into RAM on boot-up, keeping it clean and compressed saves RAM.

I'd try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run Dialog. If that doesn't work, then try a repair install of XP (presuming that you're running XP).

Microsoft KB Article: 894472
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic