Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Utilities Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

*Free* DHCP Server for Windows 2000/XP

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote S3BST3R Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: *Free* DHCP Server for Windows 2000/XP
    Posted: 08 September 2006 at 12:08am
I strongly suggest creating a Networking utility that would be a free DHCP server for use on small home networks that run Windows 2000/XP computers.

Sure, most would probably react to this idea with "Just get a router" since it has a built-in DHCP server and in most cases, I would agree. But a router isn't right for every situation.

Prime example:

A user has a home in a remote rural area with no broadband access. The user has dial-up internet and a network consisting of 3 desktop computers and 1 laptop computer. All computers are running Windows XP Professional w/SP2, with the exception of one desktop computer which is running Windows 2000 Professional w/SP4. The user's desktop computers are all networked via a network switch and all desktop computers' NIC's are configured with static IPs since they never need to change.  However, the user's laptop computer is taken away from home every day and plugged into various networks whereever he is (i.e., where wireless networks aren't present, or are down/defective/unstable). Each high-speed network he plugs into has DHCP enabled so therefore he has to change the settings of his network card to automatically be assigned IP addresses. But once back home, when plugging into his home network, he has to put in the static IP numbers back into his NIC TCP/IP settings in order for his unit to work on his home network.

A free DHCP server running on one of the desktop computers would be perfect for a scenario like this, or for anyone who doesn't wish to buy a router and instead uses the built-in Internet Connection Sharing in Windows. There would be no need to constantly change TCP/IP settings for the laptop's network card. Just need to plug it in wherever and voilą.

Some may agree with this, some may disagree. I just think it would be nice to have a free DHCP server for Windows 2000/XP networks, without having to purchase a router. And since Sysinternals does a very good job with its utilities, especially on the Networking side of things, I thought this would be the perfect place to make such a suggestion.

atw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote atw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2006 at 7:44am
Hi,

I know this isn't *FREE* but it is cheap: http://www.pscs.co.uk/products/vdhcp/index.php (GBP 30.00 / $57.00). I use their vPOP3 server at work and it is amazing...

OR

http://web460.server3.webplus24.de/loosydhcp/index.html sounds good in principle (though, again, I've never used it).

OR

http://tftpd32.jounin.net/
says it also contains an opensource DHCP server (you might be able to install that on it's own or rip it).

These are just some options--if you actually need one, though I do agree a SysInternals one would be excellent too :o)

kriceslo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriceslo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2006 at 9:36pm
Here's two more:

DHCP Turbo by Weird Solutions is very nice and runs in the background as a Windows Service. The free version runs up to 5 nodes which should be adequate for a home network.

MagikDHCP is shareware for $15, but not nearly as nice as DHCP Turbo. It offers enough features for your needs.

Edited by kriceslo - 14 September 2006 at 9:44pm
Masked View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Masked Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2006 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by S3BST3R S3BST3R wrote:

I strongly suggest creating a Networking utility that would be a free DHCP server for use on small home networks that run Windows 2000/XP computers.

Sure, most would probably react to this idea with "Just get a router" since it has a built-in DHCP server and in most cases, I would agree. But a router isn't right for every situation.

Prime example:

A user has a home in a remote rural area with no broadband access. The user has dial-up internet and a network consisting of 3 desktop computers and 1 laptop computer. All computers are running Windows XP Professional w/SP2, with the exception of one desktop computer which is running Windows 2000 Professional w/SP4. The user's desktop computers are all networked via a network switch and all desktop computers' NIC's are configured with static IPs since they never need to change.  However, the user's laptop computer is taken away from home every day and plugged into various networks whereever he is (i.e., where wireless networks aren't present, or are down/defective/unstable). Each high-speed network he plugs into has DHCP enabled so therefore he has to change the settings of his network card to automatically be assigned IP addresses. But once back home, when plugging into his home network, he has to put in the static IP numbers back into his NIC TCP/IP settings in order for his unit to work on his home network.

A free DHCP server running on one of the desktop computers would be perfect for a scenario like this, or for anyone who doesn't wish to buy a router and instead uses the built-in Internet Connection Sharing in Windows. There would be no need to constantly change TCP/IP settings for the laptop's network card. Just need to plug it in wherever and voilą.

Some may agree with this, some may disagree. I just think it would be nice to have a free DHCP server for Windows 2000/XP networks, without having to purchase a router. And since Sysinternals does a very good job with its utilities, especially on the Networking side of things, I thought this would be the perfect place to make such a suggestion.

Actually, I'd just got to:

My Network Places > Properties > Local Area Connection > Properties    (Use Wireless instead of Local Are connection if necessary)

Select the TCP/IP protocal, select Properties.

Set the Obtain an IP address Automatically on for both options.  Since you say all machines are running XP Pro, then select the alternate configuration at the top and Manually configure the IP address to the static address you need.   Now, whenever you turn the laptop on, it'll ask for a DHCP address first.  If it doesn't find one after a while (the DHCP will time out when it can't find a server.) it will use the alternate configuration you've selected.

Edited by Masked - 23 October 2006 at 1:07pm
masked IT,
MCP, MCSA
Casper42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Casper42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 October 2006 at 5:11pm
I will chip in and tell you what you didnt want to hear.  Just get a router

1) A 5 port 100mbps switch costs like $25-$35
2) A WAP will you run like $50 or more

You can get a Cheap Router for $50 that has both

For a little more, or if you find the right brand, some Wireless Router's Even still have a COM Port where you can hook up that good old trusty USR or whatever modem and the Router will Dial the ISP for you.
system_duck View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote system_duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 12:33pm
As for me, I am using this utility. This is two-in-one package: DHCP and DNS servers.
Duck, just a system duck.
kriceslo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kriceslo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 November 2007 at 2:35pm
I used some hardware on a project that required a DHCP server where a router could not suffice:

The hardware was a streaming video MPEG-2 decoder box (like a set-top cable box connected on Ethernet). The problem is the box required the optional "Vendor specific information" DHCP option (option 43 -- see RFC 1533: ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc1533.txt) to be transmitted by the DHCP server--this option was required to provide configuration information. The configuration data included binary/hexadecimal codes.

Windows Server's DHCP server can provide any DHCP option codes listed in RFC 1533 and features ASCII/hex data entry -- a router can not do this! The free Wierd Solutions DHCP Turbo solution I mentioned above does provide option codes, but does not provide a binary/hex entry field.

It would be nice to have a full-feature DHCP server on occasion without having to purchase Windows Server, but in most cases a router with hardware reservations, or using LAN Alternate Configuration will suffice.
achaldhir View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote achaldhir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 January 2008 at 9:49pm
Try the Dual DHCP DNS Server, it is absolutely free. It has also built in DNS Server, if needed.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/dhcp-dns-server/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic