Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Explorer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help: Hardware Interrupts 100%

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 January 2012 at 8:43pm
I will try to evaluate one more time if it still is related to high temperatures. I will reply when I know.
gerdb42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gerdb42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2012 at 8:17am
As already stated in another thread, you may want to check out what's described here.
Peo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 8:22pm
I have checked the DMA settings of the IDE channels, and none of them are in PIO mode. Not when the computer operates as normal or when the computer gets into the 100% interrupt foobar.

I kept the case opened for some days, or maybe a week, but the interrupts stayed ok. So I figured that I could try to close the case and then open it when the interrupts went high, to see if that made them go back to normal levels again.

Three times now, the last month (with the case closed) the interrupts have went to 100%. When it happends I have opened the case and waited. But no. The levels of interrupts stayed at 100%.
Then I restared the computer. After the reboot, the interrupts were back to normal.. So, is it still something running at the computer that makes this happend? How can I examine if a driver or a program is causing this?

Or is it well known that calls to "HalDisableSystemInterrupt" and "HalBeginSystemInterrupt" are related to high CPU temperatures? I've searched google, but I can't find much info about this.

MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:28pm
high Interrupts with READ_PORT_UCHAR from hal.dll/ACPI.sys are mostly CPU overheating issues. XP is limited in detecting the cause because most of the useful things were added with Vista (stackwalking).

How hot was your CPU when you had the interrupt issue again?
Peo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 10:04pm
Okey, I see.
I will keep the case open now until it happends again - if it does.
And if it happends, I will then check the cpu and mb temps.
Peo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 March 2012 at 2:04pm
I have now kept the case opened all the time.
Yesterday after been using the computer for some hour, it started to feel tardy. When I checked the interrupts in procexp the Hardware Interrupts were around 50% (going up and down around 40-65%). KernRates showed this:

Module                                Hits   msec  %Total  Events/Sec
hal                                    7375      34484    54 %     5346682
intelppm                               5332      34484    39 %     3865560

And zoomed on ha.dll:

Module                                Hits   msec  %Total  Events/Sec
READ_PORT_UCHAR                        6902      34484    48 %     5003769
HalDisableSystemInterrupt              6902      34484    48 %     5003769
HalBeginSystemInterrupt                 257      34484     1 %      186318

Pretty much the same as before.

After the logging I did shown above, I restarted the computer and checked the temperatures via BIOS. CPU temp was 46°C and MB temp 32°C.

Can malfunctioning components (memory for instance) cause this problem? Can a faulty driver on some core component cause this? It feels like the computer is working a little bit more stable with the case open, but the problem still persists.

MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 March 2012 at 3:27pm
Intelppm still indicates to me that it is a heating issue. 
Peo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 9:58pm
You mean hal.dll? If you look at my first post, intelppm.sys is not even listed in top 5.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic