Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Disk2vhd
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How I fixed my 0x0000007B problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chat_to_rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How I fixed my 0x0000007B problem
    Posted: 14 October 2009 at 2:48pm
I used the Disk2VHD tool to create a VHD of a Windows Server 2003 machine running on a Dell PE 1850.  When I tried to boot this machine as a VM in Hyper-V on Server 2008 R2 I got a BSOD with a 0x0000007B stop code.  In order to enable the VM to boot I followed the instructions here http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082 and re-created the VHD.  I did the following on the machine to be converted: I ran the reg file listed in the KB article, then I extracted Atapi.sys, Intelide.sys, Pciide.sys, and Pciidex.sys from %SystemRoot%\Driver Cache\I386\Driver.cab on the machine I was to convert and copied them to %SystemRoot%\System32\Drivers on the same machine.  Hope this helps.

Edited by chat_to_rich - 14 October 2009 at 2:50pm
AntonOfTheWoods View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AntonOfTheWoods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2009 at 10:32am
Sounds like a perfect chance for a checkbox "Enable disk to be bootable with IDE controllers (Hyper-V, Virtual Server, etc.". Is this a reasonable feature request? I would certainly have avoided 90% of the posts so far...
rrnworks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrnworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 4:48am
Add my vote as well for a simple "virtual IDE" VHD injection script, either built into this tool or as an add-on.
redhawk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 October 2009 at 9:16am
I remember having this problem when I upgraded my copy of VirtualBox I was getting STOP 0x0000007B.
My solution was to run Device Manager, remove the IDE controller, update VirtualBox, then restart Windows and let it reinstall the correct IDE drivers.

Richard S.

Edited by redhawk - 16 October 2009 at 1:18pm
root333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote root333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2009 at 8:39pm
Thanks , thanks, thanks. +1
Thank you God.
rrnworks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rrnworks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2009 at 3:31pm

Besides the infamous MS KB mergeide article - there is also a fix_hdc utility that works with windows pe.  But it would be nice if a purpose built tool was included with disk2vhd that did the same thing.  pretty please?

longwa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 4:52pm
I was beating my head against the wall trying to get this to work when I finally realized what I was doing wrong. After running the mergeide.reg (from the KB article) and copying the file from the drivers.cab as indicated, I had to actually reboot the physical machine once before making the VHD. I think the CurrentControlSet changes that are merged get pulled into one of the Hardware Profiles on reboot....without it, I was still getting the 7B on startup.

Since my machine did not original have ACPI, I also had to enable the ACPI layer by following these steps (from http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=20716&PN=2)

1. Start VM with the XP cdrom mounted
2. boot from cd-rom and press R this will load the recovery console
3. login with local administrator password of the VM
4. cd system32
5. type:  expand d:\i386\halacpi.dl_  and press enter
6. type:  copy halacpi.dll hal.dll  and press enter, type Y to overwrite
7. reboot the VM and ensure that ACPI is enabled

Without this workaround, I just got a black screen when trying to boot.

So, with the combination of the two, I was able to get my p2v conversion working perfectly...thanks guys!

bytehd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bytehd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2009 at 8:16pm
these are automatable steps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic