Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to uninstall BgInfo

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to uninstall BgInfo
    Posted: 02 November 2007 at 1:39pm
I just installed this utility on VISTA computer and ended up with the statistics on the desktop in large letters.  I can't find any way to access the options or how to uninstall the program if I decide to do so. It's not shown in the Programs menu and I can't find its folder in Search.  Please help.
Robert M. Engelbardt
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 2:36pm
Hello, Robert.

The search button is your friend.
The search string "uninstall Bginfo" combined with option "Find posts any day and newer" (strange way of putting this) yielded 10 results.

Anyway, I assume that namrehto's standard uninstallation procedure still applies: How to uninstall BGinfo?

Regards,
Karl

Edited by Karlchen - 03 November 2007 at 3:53pm
bobengel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bobengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2007 at 5:37pm
Thanks, Karl. Search didn't find anything but, after rebooting, I no longer see a large desktop display of the computer data which was my biggest problem.  But  there is nothing in my startup folder so maybe I'll install a startup utility like Startup Cop which will show all items that affect startup including the registry. 

I was expecting BgInfo to be a regular utility that has installation and  removal files so the program can be removed using Control Panel but apparently this is not the case.
Robert M. Engelbardt
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2007 at 3:10pm
Hi, Bob.

Quote Search didn't find anything
Hm, it located namrehto's old posts for me. - You very likely did not set the option "Find posts" to "any day and newer".
Quote I was expecting BgInfo to be a regular utility that has installation and removal files
Hm, as a matter of fact, the nice thing about the Sysinternals utilities is that they do not need a bloated setup programme, nor a bloated uninstallation programme.
Any installation / uninstallation of a Sysinternals programme work the same basically:

Installation:
(1) you get the zipped download file from the Sysinternals webpage
(2) you create a target folder on your disk, e.g. "%programfiles%\Sysinternals"
(3) you unpack everything inside the downloaded zip file to this target folder
(4) you use the programme

Uninstallation:
(1) You stop the programme
(2) (in the case of bginfo.exe you remove the automatic start entry and select a different desktop wallpaper)
(3) you remove the programme files
(4) that is all basically.

Quote there is nothing in my startup folder so maybe I'll install a startup utility like Startup Cop which will show all items that affect startup including the registry.
You might use Sysinternals Autoruns to achieve your goal. You will hardly find any programme that knows more Windows autoruns locations than Sysinternals autoruns.

Be warned, however, this is one more of the nasty Sysinternals programmes that come without a setup programme and that will not be found under Control Panel - Add/Remove Software.
Yet, you will easily locate the installation and uninstallation instructions.

Locating the automatic bginfo start:

I assume in order to find the location where bginfo.exe is loaded automatically it will be enough to check the following 4 locations (with the help of Autoruns or without):

(1) folder "%userprofile%\start menu\programs\startup"
(2) folder "%allusersprofile%\start menu\programs\startup"
(3) regkey "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"
(4) regkey "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run"

HTH & regards,
Karl

Edited by Karlchen - 03 November 2007 at 4:34pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic