Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Installation of BGINFO (msi installer?)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEORGE367036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Installation of BGINFO (msi installer?)
    Posted: 23 December 2011 at 5:41pm
Is there an msi installer that will consistently install BGINFO correctly? Or at least a check list that covers the variations of the different versions of Windows?
.. register the program to remove the administrative privilege elevation requirement
.. associate ".bgi" extension with the program
.. place into the correct Program Files (x86) or Program Files depending on 64bit or 32bit OS
.. update the correct Startup path whether WinXp/2003 or Vista/7/2008
.. etc.
Seems like the simpleton install instructions on the sysinternals site leaves a few gaps. (Didn't find anything on this forum either, which surprised me.)
GEORGE367036 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEORGE367036 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 December 2011 at 6:52pm
Edit: "simple" (not simpleton)
WindowsStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindowsStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 December 2011 at 5:23am
Originally posted by GEORGE367036 GEORGE367036 wrote:

Is there an msi installer that will consistently install BGINFO correctly? Or at least a check list that covers the variations of the different versions of Windows?
.. register the program to remove the administrative privilege elevation requirement
.. associate ".bgi" extension with the program
.. place into the correct Program Files (x86) or Program Files depending on 64bit or 32bit OS
.. update the correct Startup path whether WinXp/2003 or Vista/7/2008
.. etc.
Seems like the simpleton install instructions on the sysinternals site leaves a few gaps. (Didn't find anything on this forum either, which surprised me.)
#1 ..register: This is a UAC issue Windows 7/Windows Server 2008 R2 BGInfo is not programmed for these OS's and we have been requesting a update for it for several years now.
#2 ..associate: Works correctly everytime I have installed it ?? Not sure why it does not work for you.
#3 ..place: Yep agree this is an issue, you just need to move it, or create your own install, as we did.
#4 ..update: I would assume the reason this is NOT done is because everyone seems to do this a different way. So it is upto the end user to start it in a manner that is good for them.

Edited by WindowsStar - 24 December 2011 at 5:23am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic