Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > PsTools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maximum string length PsExec

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maximum string length PsExec
    Posted: 20 April 2007 at 2:55am
The maximum length of server + command + arguments in PsExec is (256 characters...) 

Does anyone know how to execute longer files?

Edited by hanso - 20 April 2007 at 7:31am
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 April 2007 at 1:33pm
Hi, Hanso.

I am not sure about the 256 characters limit - I would have to do some tests. But I am sure I do not understand the "del" in your second message. What's it supposed to mean?

Karl

Edited by Karlchen - 20 April 2007 at 1:34pm
hanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 1:48am

I had a bug, but didn't know the char limit was the problem. Because of that, I posted a reply with some extra information. But I renamed the topic-title and message after I noticed it, and removed my reply.

Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 3:05am
Hello, hanso.

Just a hint:
As long as no-one replied to a message you wrote, you as the author can always press the "delete" button below the message. (Did this for you.)  Smile

Karl

Edited by Karlchen - 23 April 2007 at 3:07am
hanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 3:08am
Okay, sorry! I was looking for that button, but it was a bit hard to find.

However, does anyone have a solution for my problem? Is it a common bug, or only on my PC?

:-)
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2007 at 3:40am
Hello, hanso.

No warranty given my diagnosis is correct:
  • Using psexec v1.72 remote commandlines of about 500 characters seem to be no problem. (Have not tested longer commands, yet.)
  • Using psexec v1.82 remote commandlines of more than 256 characters caused the psexe.exe on the local machine to crash.
    Note:
    Just corrected this statement, because I had incorrectly assumed the remote psexec service crashed. - No. It does not. It is the local psexec.exe that does.

The commandline used looked like this:
psexec.exe \\target -c echo_args.cmd 1abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 2abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 3abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 4abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 5abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 7abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 8abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 9abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

echo_args.cmd holds these commands (nothing fancy really):
@echo off 
echo Args are: %1 %2 %3 %4 %5 %6 %7 %8 %9
echo Arg1=%1
echo Arg2=%2
echo Arg3=%3
echo Arg4=%4
echo Arg5=%5
echo Arg6=%6
echo Arg7=%7
echo Arg8=%8
echo Arg9=%9
pause

Environment:
+ Local: WinXP Pro Sp2
+ Target: Win2K SP4 Rollup4 / Win2003 Sp1
+ Psexec: v1.72 (2006) / v1.82 (current)

Karl
--
P.S.:
Have got the dumpfile created by Dr Watson and the logfiles. Zipped size: 90k. Could send it to you, Mark, but won't upload it here, because it may hold information about our local environment.
--
P.S.2:
Tested psexec v1.72 with remote commands as long as 970 characters: no problem.
Tested psexec v1.73 to v1.82: they crash.
--
P.S.3:
The longest remote command line which would not make psexec v1.82 crash was this one (245 chars, expanded on the target to 255 chars):

psexec.exe \\server -c echo_args.cmd 1abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 2abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 3abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 4abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 5abcdefghijklmn

Edited by Karlchen - 23 April 2007 at 9:56am
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2007 at 3:56am
Hello, hanso.

Good news.
The buffer overflow bug seems to be fixed in PsExec V1.83 as announced by Otto here:

How to reproduce:

(1) Launch the commandline given in my previous message

C>psexec.exe \\target -c echo_args.cmd 1abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 2abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 3abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 4abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 5abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 7abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 8abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 9abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
(2) Yields this output:
Quote PsExec v1.83 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2007 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com

Args are: 1abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 2abcdefghijklmnpqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 3abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNPQRSTUVWXYZ 4abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 5abcdefghijklnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 7abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 8abcdefghijlmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 9abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg1=1abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg2=2abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg3=3abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg4=4abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg5=5abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg6=6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg7=7abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg8=8abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Arg9=9abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
Press any key to continue . . .
echo_args.cmd exited on target with error code 0.
C>
And pexec.exe v1.83 simply returns to the local prompt.

Karl
--
P.S.:
psexec v1.83 could also handle the remote commandline if it was twice as long (more than 1070 characters)

psexec.exe \\target -c echo_args.cmd 1abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 2abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ2abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 3abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ3abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 4abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ4abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 5abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ5abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ6abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 7abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ7abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 8abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ8abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ 9abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ9abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ AabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZAabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

Edited by Karlchen - 15 May 2007 at 4:14am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic