Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Disk2vhd
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MFT size in XP windows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughPratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MFT size in XP windows
    Posted: 20 March 2012 at 6:25pm
Hard Disk 35GB
I wish to increase the MFT file size on windows XP which is 159Mb for 99% in use.
When using C: fsutil behavior query mftzone   
this returned none set
So used C: fsutil behavior set mftzone  3 
checked C: fsutil behavior query mftzone  
Result mftzone =3
Restart etc
This makes no difference MFT percentage used  at 99%
One internet source said that this only applies at Formatting time?

Any help appreciated?
Hugh Pratt
LMiller7 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMiller7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2012 at 7:29pm

The command in question only alters the space reserved for the MFT, it does not change the size of the MFT and it does not reduce free disk space.  This is a soft reservation. If space is needed for normal files it will be taken from the MFT reservation if needed. If the MFT needs more than the reserved space it will be taken from disk free space. Under normal use this will be unlikely. 

For normal usage the default MFT configuration will be best.  That is why it was chosen as the default. The exact size reserved is dependent on a number of factors and is undocumented. Setting larger numbers in the command in question would normally serve no useful purpose. This would only be of use if you had an unusually large percentage of very small files.

I don't know of any way to manually enlarge the MFT and see little reason to do so.

See this article for more information on the MFT:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174619

HughPratt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughPratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 9:31am
Thanks for that update and I had already pondered over

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174619

My concern is that the MFT file is fragmented and seem unable to defragment it.

My other concern is that if it is 99% full I would like to increase it.

If the MFT default is 12.5% of 35GB it should be 4.375GB not 160MB what is wrong here?

Hugh
Hugh Pratt
LMiller7 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LMiller7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2012 at 1:00pm

A small number of MFT fragments is nothing to be concerned about.

The file system is more than capable of increasing the size of the MFT when this is needed. There really is no difference between doing this yourself (if it were possible) and letting the file system do it. 12.5% of the disk space might be reserved for the MFT but that doesn't mean that the MFT is actualy going to be that large. The MFT will only grow to the actual size it needs to be so there is really nothing wrong.

I see no reason for concern.

tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 7:19pm

It would probably help boot speed to defrag the mft.  It is often the most accessed file during boot.

HughPratt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughPratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 8:57pm
the question is how to defrag it? The Winows utility does not defrag it.

Hugh
Hugh Pratt
tamahome View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamahome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 9:00pm
Mydefrag can.  It can also position it next to the other files in layout.ini if you script it right.

Edited by tamahome - 23 March 2012 at 9:01pm
HughPratt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughPratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 9:04pm
excellent - thanks can you let me have a copy of the scrit?

Regards

Hugh
Hugh Pratt
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 March 2012 at 10:01pm
contig.exe can also defrag MFT:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897428
HughPratt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HughPratt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2012 at 9:16am
Excellent thanks,

Just one simple question what is the name/location of the MFT file to defrag?

I cannot find MFT.*  or $MFT

Regards

Hugh
Hugh Pratt
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic