Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Autoruns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Missing Driver Files

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garthwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Missing Driver Files
    Posted: 21 January 2013 at 6:23pm
After runnung Autoruns on Vista 64 Business I have found the following mising driver files.
IpInIp        IP in IP Tunnel Driver             File not found: system32\DRIVERS\ipinip.sys
NwlnkFlt    IPX Traffic Filter Driver           File not found: system32\DRIVERS\nwlnkflt.sys
NwlnkFwd IPX Traffic Forwarder Driver   File not found: system32\DRIVERS\nwlnkfwd.sys
RimUsb                                                        File not found: System32\Drivers\RimUsb_AMD64.sys

After exstensive research I can't find any definitive clear suggestions. I beleive that these files and entries  are either leggacy drivers from earlier op.systems or loaded by an ip mointor.

To maintain an error free registry should I
1. remove the keys from the registry or
2. try to find coppies of the missing files and place in system32\drivers or
3. do nothing.

From research this topic has been arround for the longest. From all the incredible expertise there should be some difinitive advice out there.  there isn't any on Microsoft Support where you would think there would be. LOL.
Dax1792 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dax1792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 8:37pm
The first three are mentioned in the Sysinternals Administrators Reference as typical of Vista systems. They are described as innocuous.

RimUSB appears to be a Blackberry driver.
garthwm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garthwm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 10:14pm
Thank you for your quick response. I agree The RimUsb must be an old driver associated with a Blackberry I used to attach to this computer. As I have removed all of that software I think I can just go ahead and delete this key.
Dax1792 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dax1792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 10:32pm
Yes, it looks like it didn't clean up after itself. Personally, I don't bother but if you like to be tidy, you can delete it. 
jimsrtn1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsrtn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2014 at 12:29am
Hi,
Just looking for the same problem in this old post thought I post the answer found when
Installing Vista upgrade on XP Pro, this upgrade only allows clean install so it puts the
old XP Pro files in directory WINDOWS.OLD this is where these files are located!

Are the files also used in Vista? 
Not sure what service are connected with these files if used in Vista
Can anyone help please, I do like a tidy Autorun!

Dax1792 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dax1792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2014 at 9:05pm

You can delete the Registry entries if you want.

If you really want to be tidy, delete the Windows.old folder.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930527

jimsrtn1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsrtn1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2014 at 1:49am
Thanks for reply, yes I saw entries in registry but was wondering if they were used by Vista,
Already deleted  windows.old.
Do you know if these files are used in Vista.
If they are will a service create them or do they have be installed or is it just legacy stuff?

Dax1792 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dax1792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2014 at 3:38am
They are not used. Seems like someone forgot to remove the entries when Vista was built. They are gone in Windows 7.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic