Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ndis.sys- High DPC latenecy / High DPC CPU usage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ndis.sys- High DPC latenecy / High DPC CPU usage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ndis.sys- High DPC latenecy / High DPC CPU usage
    Posted: 08 October 2009 at 9:04pm
Hi

For the past couple of weeks ive been suffering from glicthing / popping / crackling audio once my system had been running for while.

After some investigation ive tracked down the cause of the audio glitches to be network related. The audio problems would start during high net usage (downloads etc), then remain untill the system is restarted, or the relevant network driver was disabled. The problem has been occurring for me on both my wireless and wired network. This is also tied to high DPC CPU usage ive observed in process explorer, with it anywhere between 10/15% and 45/50% during the glitches. Disabling the currently in use network driver (wireless/wired) would kill the problem and return DPC to a couple of a % CPU usage.

After some more investigation, through running xperf ive pinned the high DPC CPU usage to high DPC latency by ndis.sys. (see screenshots below for the graph and summary table):

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/2866/xperf1.jpg
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/302/xperf2.jpg

Both network drivers have been updated to their latest versions, as have my sound and video drivers.

I would really appreciate any help in trying to track down any way to stop the high dpc latency and cpu usage.

------------
Windows Vista Home Premium SP2 (32bit)
Intel Core 2 Duo 1.5Ghz
NVIDIA Geforce 8600M GS
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2009 at 9:11pm
Hi Orka,

It may simply be that the latest versions of the network drivers aren't adequate.  But, is there some other software that may be installed, that is interfering?  Is there any common, potentially unnecessary or third-party, entry in the properties for the network connection(s) in question?
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
pankov View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pankov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2011 at 10:52am
I had the same problem with an old Dell Latitude D410 on Windows XP SP3 and here you can see how I solved my problem
http://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/52935-network-usage-causes-high-dpc-latency-7.html#post1250833

in short - disabling the power management of the WiFi Network adapter in Device Manager removed the high DPC Latency times.
Big smile Big smile

Edited by pankov - 21 February 2011 at 10:53am
luciddream View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote luciddream Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 9:36am
Thanks for posting this pankov! I've checked many things:

- Intel Speedstep
- Turboboost
- Memory (memtest)
- Added Discrete Sound Card
- Replaced USB Hub
- ALL Latest Drivers
- BIOS
- Disabled devices, removed tons of software (including antivirus)
...and did so much more; over days... it hit me like a ton of bricks when I read your post ;)

For anyone else experiencing distorted crackling and popping sounds when they listen to audio, you might want to try DPC Latency Checker, Latency Monitor, RATTV3 or Windows xperf.

Unfortunately, those tools are not bulletproof-- Latency Monitor had reported that my video driver was the problem but I am now fairly certain that my issue was power management of network because the audio stream I am sourcing for testing would cut out without any apparent reason or associated DPC latency, but latency would later appear (probably when the adapter is reenabled).

Hopefully this additional information will help other people experiencing problems here sooner. If you are having a problem with DPC latency and your network or audio drivers and you have checked the list of things above, make sure you check your network adapter by right-clicking it in the device manager, clicking properties, and looking at the power management tab!
kdk_warhead View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdk_warhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 March 2013 at 3:38pm
Thanks luciddream!
I know this is a old thread but turning of everything under Power Management for my network cards (Marvell Yukon 88E88056) did the trick for me also.

My somewhat outdated computer is overclocked to 3.2 GHz (original 2.4) and it was working at about 25% load as a minimum if Intel Speed step was enabled. If Speed step was disabled then everything was ok.

Now I can have speed step enabled  Smile

Thank you!

Thank you!
Q6600@3.2GHz WC | Formula II | Powercolor 6970LCS WC | 6GB ram | Seasonic X-760 (buzzande agg!!) | Antec Sonata | Intel 320 120GB | WD 2TB | ThermoChill PA140.3 | Phobya DC12-220 | HK3.0LC
raboof View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raboof Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 March 2013 at 12:17am
Hi all,

I joined this group specifically to post a solution that worked for me.

First off, brief specs:
  SAGER NP5973 laptop
  Win7 32-bit with 4GB RAM (patched PAE kernel for 4GB memory access)
  NVIDIA Quadro FX1600M
  Intel 4965 AGN wireless adapter

I recently experienced a change in CPU behavior --> running at about 10-15% when IDLE. It turned out to be a high latency issue as detected by LatencyMon, which pointed to NDIS.SYS as the problem.

Long story short - I updated ALL hardware drivers, tried all Googled tricks and got NO result. The only thing that had any effect was to disable the AGN adapter --> then the CPU would drop back to "normal (0 to 1% at IDLE).

Solution: I remembered that I recently updated the NVIDIA drivers for my system. I was running Quadro drivers v195.62 and had upgraded to v311.35. I uninstalled the new driver and ran the Standard VGA adapter -> CPU went to normal (0 to 1% at IDLE). I re-installed the new NVIDIA driver (driver ONLY) and CPU went up to 15% at IDLE! I then re-installed the OLDER v195.62 NVIDIA driver and all went back to normal (0 to 1% at IDLE) ! I don't know why but in *my* case, although things pointed at the AGN drivers as being the problem, it was the combination with the new NVIDIA drivers that was truly at fault.

Some additional notes:
- I am running the latest Intel drivers (Wireless.v15.3.1)
- my system has a built-in Realtek audio device. I found the best version of the HDAC drivers is R2.42 --> the latest version (R2.70) would cause a hang on install.

Hope this helps someone cause it wasted my whole day Censored

Cheers!
Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic