Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Need the bginfo setting for all users

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need the bginfo setting for all users
    Posted: 21 July 2005 at 4:55am

Hello

I'm a admin of a school windows server 2003 system. On this system I have 6 different users without admin permissions.

I would like to make BGINFO.exe for all users, how I must edit the settings?

Thank you in advance for any your answers.

I appreciate it!

So long

Elena

fusion121 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fusion121 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 July 2005 at 6:06am

Hi All,

I have a similar requirement.

I am the network administrator of a 2000 user school and would like to have BGInfo deployed to all desktops and laptops in the school to make support abit easier.

My questions are as follows:

1 - Can BGInfo be run for users without admin rights
2 - If the answer to question 1 is no then is it possible under windows XP to make BGInfo "RunAs" the administrator
3 - I guess this is the big one, I have not really looked at the licence info (I guess I should really) but am I allowed to deploy BGInfo to 2000 desktops.

Anyhelp would be great

Regards,

Ozzie

Rickd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 8:31am

BGINfo can be run without Local Admin... various methods of displaying ouput as seen in help files... Prob the easiest method of installation for multiple users would be to create a batch file such as:

@echo off

c:\bginfo\bginfo.exe c:\bginfo\mycustomsettings.bgi /timer:0

and copy it to c:\Documents and settings\All users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp.

I am assuming here you have downloaded BGINFo.exe to a directory called C:\BGINFO and created and saved a custom bgi file to the same directory.

Licencing: I believe the Word "Deploy" may contravene the freeware licencing

itrcb4 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote itrcb4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2006 at 3:30pm

I've ran into the same issue and my solution was:

1. Don't use the /all switch. 

2. Mod the registry HKLM/software/Microsoft/Windows/run and put in the command-line there.

That's it.

kd4moj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kd4moj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by Rickd Rickd wrote:

BGINfo can be run without Local Admin... various methods of displaying ouput as seen in help files... Prob the easiest method of installation for multiple users would be to create a batch file such as:

@echo off

c:\bginfo\bginfo.exe c:\bginfo\mycustomsettings.bgi /timer:0

and copy it to c:\Documents and settings\All users\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp.

I am assuming here you have downloaded BGINFo.exe to a directory called C:\BGINFO and created and saved a custom bgi file to the same directory.

Licencing: I believe the Word "Deploy" may contravene the freeware licencing

Using the method above, we get "trying to run as a service" and the user doesn't have admin priv's. I've yet to yet to get "custom" text file info to work unless you are admin...{sigh}

jschubert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 August 2006 at 4:40pm

We run bginfo.exe from the netlogon on folder.  Users don't have to have admin rights to the .exe this way and you can have multiple configurations for different OUs, groups and or users and or machines.  However you do have to give users read/write access to c:\windows\bgi.bmp (you can add a cacls statement to your logon script to accomplish that).

Put a copy of bginfo in the netlogon folder.
Double click on it to open it and modify it as desired.
Close it, choosing to save with the bgi extension (ie student.bgi and teacher.bgi)
Call it from your logon script (depending on the language used for your logon script) with a line simillar to:

"\\server\netlogon\bginfo.exe \\server\netlogon\student.bgi /timer:0"

The /timer:0 forces bgi right into action so users don't get the chance to modify the settings you have created.

With help from others on this forum, I have learned that there is a million things you can have displayed on the ussers desktop.  Let me know if you want some suggestions (I'm a fellow school computer administrator).

Jeremy

Jayna78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayna78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2006 at 2:44pm

jschubert, when you said "you do have to give users read/write access to c:\windows\bgi.bmp (you can add a cacls statement to your logon script to accomplish that)", is there an easy way to do that without having to alter every single's permissions to every single computer's c:\windows\bgi.bmp?  Also, is there an easy way to add the necessary line to every user's logon script without having to go in and put it in one by one? 

I'm just trying to make BGInfo work on my 3-facility network. 

Thanks for any help you can offer. 

jschubert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 August 2006 at 4:08pm

Hey Jayna,

What kind of login script are you using?  Is it a batch file or a kix script or a vbscript...

Jeremy

Jayna78 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayna78 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 7:59am

Jeremy -

It is a batch file.  I don't know enough about scripting to do much more than composing a simple batch file in Notepad. 

Jayna

jschubert View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jschubert Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 11:22am

Hi Jayna,

Adding the following line to your batch file should work to change the permissions on the .bmp file bginfo creates.  You may need to change c:\winnt to c:\windows depending on how your computers are setup. 

cacls c:\winnt\bginfo.bmp /E /G everyone:F

The only concern I have is that it might not work because your users may not have the correct group membership (I think they may need to be administrators).  So instead of putting the line in your users' batch file, here is another suggestion.

1. Open a cmd prompt
  2. Type in net view > view.txt (this will pipe a list of all your networked computers to a text file).
  3. Open the view.txt file in Excel
  4. Delete all text ecept for the computer names
  5. Insert a colum  in front of the computer names and behind the computer name.
  6. In the new first colum, add the text "cacls \\"
  7. In the new last coumn, add the text "c$\winnt\bginfo.bmp /E /G everyone:F 
  8. Use the auto fill tool to fill in all the cells before and after the computer names with the appropriate text.
  9. Close the Excel file choosing to save your changes.
  10. Open the view.txt document in Word
  11. Choose Replace from the Edit menu
  12. Click on the More button and then the Special button
  13. Choose the Tab Character
  14. That will put the tab character in the Find What field.  In the Replace with field, leave a space (tap the space bar once).
  15. Click on Replace All. 
  16. That should leave you with a bunch of lines that look like "cacls \\computername\c$\winnt\bginfo.bmp /E /G everyone:F"
  17. Between the first and second line and the third and fourth line add the word Pause.  This will pause the script a couple of times before it runs completely.  That will allow you to view the file's first couple of tries at modifying the bginfo.bmp file.  If you see an error message instead of the message 'file processed' you'll know you have to fix up something.
  18. Close Word, chooseing to save your changes.
  19. Rename the file to something like cacls.bat.
  20. Double click on it to make it run and it should change the permissions on the bginfo.bmp file for every computer.  (You should be running it from an account that has administrator access).

Let me know if you need more detailed instructions.  Also, let me know how it goes.

Good luck!
Jeremy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic