Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Autoruns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NMIndexingService (Nero 7) not shown

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NMIndexingService (Nero 7) not shown
    Posted: 09 February 2008 at 2:23pm
In Win XP Home TaskManager, Processes, NMIndexingService.exe (System) and NMIndexStoreSvc.exe (Owner) are listed on my computer.  In Autoruns, there are no mention of these files (Image names).  How come? Are there other items in Task Manager that are not mentioned in Autoruns?

Now, I must admit that I had to check everything manually, since Find seemed to have a life of its own, and you cannot sort on headings.

Thanks in advance.

Hans L
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2008 at 4:18pm
Hello, Hans L.
Quote In Autoruns, there are no mention of these files (Image names).  How come? Are there other items in Task Manager that are not mentioned in Autoruns?
No, the Nero services should be listed and will be listed by Autoruns as well.
In case the services are really services, they will be locatable on the Autoruns "Services" tab as well as on the "Everything" tab.
Just keep in mind that the process name listed inside Task Manager need not be the same name as the service name.

Quote Find seemed to have a life of its own
I cannot confirm this at all. The Autoruns find function works as expected. Press Ctrl-F and enter a (partial) search string.
If you are not sure whether the name you are looking for will be inside the services list, then you might switch to the "Everything" tab beforehand and the use Ctrl-F.

Quote you cannot sort on headings.
This is a known limitation, implemented willingly. Mark insists that if he implemented sorting by column tabs, then the group headers (the registry locations) would be lost inside the screen display.
This limitation, however, does not prevent you from finding whatever you wish as long as it is in the list.

Conclusion
You will be able to locate the NMIndexingService.exe and the and NMIndexStoreSvc.exe by going to the "Everything" tab, pressing Ctrl-F and entering "NMIndexingService.exe" and "NMIndexStoreSvc.exe" as search strings.
If they are really services, you will be able to achieve the same by using Ctrl-F inside the "Services" tab.

HTH,
Karl

Hans L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2008 at 7:24pm
Hello Karl:

Quote No, the Nero services should be listed and will be listed by Autoruns as well. In case the services are really services, they will be locatable on the Autoruns "Services" tab as well as on the "Everything" tab. Just keep in mind that the process name listed inside Task Manager need not be the same name as the service name.

Well, I understand that the service names might differ, but wouldn't the .exe file names be the same?  There is no NMIndexingService.exe or  NMIndexStoreSvc.exe in my Autoruns.  However, if I uncheck all nine Nero items in Everything and restart the computer, the Windwos TaskManager does not contain these two items.  Which means that they are called something else or lumped into another file (perhaps a dll?) in Autoruns!?.

Quote This [not being able to sort on headings] is a known limitation, implemented willingly. Mark insists that if he implemented sorting by column tabs, then the group headers (the registry locations) would be lost inside the screen display.

If my Find worked as it should, I agree that the heading sorting is not strictly necessay.  However, my Find finds the first instance, and then, when I open the Find window again and click on Find Next, nothing happens even when there are other instances of the Find word.  Is there any other way to invoke "Find Next" that I could try? 

As for the registry location being lost.  Nah, they would just have to be repeated as many times as needed (above each or each group of items in the list).

Regards,

Hans L

Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 7:22am
Hello, Hans.
Originally posted by Hans L Hans L wrote:

There is no NMIndexingService.exe or  NMIndexStoreSvc.exe in my Autoruns.
Would you mind posting a current Autoruns logfile here, please?
+ Launch Autoruns
+ Make sure that only these options are ticked: Verify Image Signatures, Hide Signed Microsoft Entries
+ Press F5 to refresh the list
+ Once Autoruns states "Ready", save the list to "Autoruns.txt"
+ Post the list here, please.

Originally posted by Hans L Hans L wrote:

if I uncheck all nine Nero items in Everything
Oh, there are Nero autoruns entries? Did you not tell there were none?
Of couse, Autoruns will only be able to show the executable files which will be launched automatically themselves, the parent generation.
Autoruns is not Dependency Walker. Therefore, Autoruns has got no idea which child processes an automatically started programme will launch.
Anyway, please, post your Autoruns log.

About the Find dialogue:
Inside Autoruns press Ctrl-F and enter a search string. Once the first instance has been found, press F3 in order to jump to the next instance (in case there is one) and Shift-F3 to jump to the previous entry. - No problem here.

About column sorting:
No use discussing this with me, because Mark & Bryce are the programme authors. Mark explained why he did not like the idea a long time ago. No new arguments to make him change his mind have ever been brought up, just the request for column sorting will be repeated once in a while. No idea, if it will be implemented or not.

Regards,
Karl

Edited by Karlchen - 10 February 2008 at 7:23am
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 8:58am
Hello, Hans.

Let me add a hopefully useful piece of information on which Windows services Autoruns will list.

I have just checked on my current system:
+ Vista Home Premium
+ Autoruns v9.12
+ Nero 8

Example "Nero NMIndexing Service":

The service Nero NMIndexing Service has been set to start "manually" (on demand) only. I.e. Windows itself will not launch it automatically on startup.

Autoruns will not list Nero NMIndexing Service on the "Services" tab (or on the "Everything" tab).

This does not prevent another process from demanding that Nero NMIndexing Service be started nevertheless. In this case NMIndexing Service would be the child of the launching process, but not an automatically started service.
Autoruns will not list it. Autoruns may, however, list the parent process, provided the parent process has been launched from one of the existing autoruns locations.

Another example:

The service "AppInfo" has got the start mode "manual". So Windows will not launch it automatically. Autoruns will not list it on the "Services" tab and not on the "Everything" tab.
But here on this machine "AppInfo" is running. So some other process/service must have launched it manually.

Conclusion:

Autoruns will only list services which will be launched automatically.
Services which will be launched on demand only (start mode "manual") will not be listed by Autoruns.
Therefore not every service will be listed by Autoruns, although you may be able to spot the correpsonding service process inside Task Manager or Process Explorer .

Possible Different Approach:

Perhaps it would correspond more to what users may expect to see if Autoruns listed all configured services and also indicated the start mode: automatic, manual, disabled.

Implementing this may not be as trivial as it seems, because so far Autoruns only knows two states for each autoruns item: enabled and disabled.

Implementing the ability to differentiate between at least 3 states just for the services might break the general on/off approach of Autoruns. So it might require rewriting major parts of the code. (I cannot tell, just an assumptions.)

Kind regards,
Karl

Hans L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 10:20am
Karl, very useful information, indeed.  I will look at it more in detail later (esp. your next to the last post), although I assume that there is really no need for a log file from me now.  However, I can already now say that my NMIndexingService is also set to manual (as could be expected).

I believe that the changes you suggest would be worthwhile in Autoruns (although it would then have to be called "Automanualruns" :-)

Regards,

Hans L
Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 3:27pm
Hello, Hans.
Quote I assume that there is really no need for a log file from me now.
As you located the NMIndexingService in the serices list (with the help of services.msc I assume), there is no real need to publish your Autoruns logfile.

One of the Nero autostart objects which you can see inside Autoruns will demand that the two Nero services which are not listed by Autoruns be launched.

Regards,
Karl

Hans L View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 3:38pm
Karl, I understand.  Ah, you learn every day here.  I have, in Autoruns, inactivated all Nero services Etc., since I do not use Nero often, and do not need these things to start with the computer. In fact, when I start to really get into (to learn) A/V in a few months, I'll have to make a decision if it really makes sense for me to have Nero at all.  Perhaps simpler, and more specialized apps would be better in my case.

Thank you very much for your help.

Regards,

Hans L
(Sweden -> 1981 -> USA)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic