Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Development
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

OutputDebugString and "Session 0" in Vista

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: OutputDebugString and "Session 0" in Vista
    Posted: 12 June 2007 at 1:01am
Hallo,

i've written an own utility to capture calls to "OutputDebugDebugString".
This utility works fine for Windows XP and prior.
But under Windows Vista it cannot capture outputs from a service. The problem seems to be that Vista isolates services to "session 0" whereas normal programs operate in "session 1" or higher.
Debugview can capture output from the service if you enable the option "Capture global win32". So the question is how does "Capture global win32" work?

I realized my utility with the events "DBWIN_BUFFER_READY", "DBWIN_DATA_READY"  etc. but this does not seems to be enough for capturing output from "session 0".

Hein

Edited by Hein - 12 June 2007 at 1:02am
Hein View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hein Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2007 at 6:13am
Hallo again, Smile

discovered the solution by myself.
In this document from MS the problem is described.
You just have to add "Global\' to named objects if you want to access the informations from other sessions.

Hein
igorp71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorp71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 July 2007 at 2:05pm
Hi Hein,

I have a similar problem. Debug output from the services is not getting captured under terminal session in Windows 2003. DebugView with "Capture Global Win32" works though. I tried adding "Global\", didn't help. What else needs to be done? Would greatly appreciate any ideas...
igorp71 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorp71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 July 2007 at 8:24am
Nevermind. It was just a bug in setting security attributes for named objects. Global\ prefix works.
ktprasanth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ktprasanth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2011 at 10:25pm
Hi
I have the same issue. I am not able to capture Global Traces even after prefixed with Global\. Do you know what Security attribute have been changed. Could you please provide me the sample code?

Thanks
kt

Edited by ktprasanth - 28 June 2011 at 10:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic