Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PageDefrag on Windows 7

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PageDefrag on Windows 7
    Posted: 24 April 2011 at 2:46am
Does PageDefrag run on Windows 7? I tried running it and the file-list is empty, unlike when run in Windows XP.

alexfung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexfung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 8:04am
Me too. I remember I can run it on XP long time ago. Seems many users have been reporting problems with Page Defrag but none has received any feeback.
And wikipedia says the tool never worked on W7. The article talks about booting from Windows CD and run Page Defrag, but does not explain how.

Edited by alexfung - 25 May 2011 at 8:06am
Synetech View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Synetech Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:41am
Well the actual defragmenting part does seem to work in Windows 7. When you boot, after the Windows logo, the screen switches to a black one (the same one as when a disk needs to be checked) and the defrag runs. I have yet to experience any problems from the defragmenting. There’s two problems though, neither of which are PageDefrag’s fault, it’s Windows problem, but because I set PageDefrag to run at every boot, it happens every time:

1. The plain, black screen is boring and bland, unlike the light-blue one in XP.
  2. The monitor’s overlay clicks when the resolution switches to the lower one used in the black screen, so not only does it take a moment longer to see the screen, but every time it happens, my heart skips a beat thinking that Windows just crashed or my system just died.
I can’t run Windows 7 until I replace my motherboard that died last week, but when I do, I’ll check to see if the hive list is still empty.

(I really wish that PageDefrag could/would also defrag the user hives as well.)

Edited by Synetech - 30 May 2011 at 2:42am
alexfung View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alexfung Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2011 at 2:47am
You can run it under W7?
When I run PageDefrag, it gives me an empty list. You can really see a list of files in the text box?
I have never seen the black screen you mentioned? It happened during boot time?
not12listen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote not12listen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 August 2011 at 10:38pm
I've just attempted to install PageDefrag on my Win7 x64 machine and get the following error:
Make sure that you are an administrator.
Error loading PageDegraf driver.

I have verified that my account has full admin rights, and even tried right clicking and selected 'run as administrator' - I get the exact same error message.
redhawk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2011 at 12:04am
As far as I'm aware PageDefrag doesn't support 64 bit Windows I also seem to recall it doesn't run correctly on 32bit Vista or Windows 7 either.

Richard S.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic