Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Utilities Suggestions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Permanent Cacheset

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markus_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Permanent Cacheset
    Posted: 22 November 2005 at 3:40pm
I'm looking for a tool like cacheset with a continuous, permanent impact. Something like invoking cacheset every 30s or so automatically.

I'm working on a Laptop with 1GB memory, but despite the large memory I find my applications often paged out. For example if I work for 1h in Word and then come back to Opera, it will take a couple of minutes to get the Opera working set back into memory. At the same time the System Cache, as seen in task manager, can grow 6-700MB.

Worst case is if an type of scanning tool (Anti-Virus, Google Desktop Search, etc.) kicks in. The machine becomes completely unusable because the apps get paged out to cache files read only once !

I'd like to constrain Windows so that is uses only a small amout of memory for caching files and keeps the rest for my running apps.

Markus
Markus, Switzerland
bartoki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartoki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2006 at 4:19am
I use the following shell scripts to call CacheSet every 30 seconds so that my Oracle or a CD-burning does not swap out the memory-intensive apps.

This way the system gets closer to Linux: any memory that is free can be used for cacheing, but it will be reclaimed quickly if needed by the apps.

C:\>type CacheSet.bat
start /b /wait /low C:\CygWin\bin\bash.exe C:\CacheSet.sh

C:\>
C:\>type CacheSet.sh
#!/bin/sh

while true
do
/c/Install/SysInternals/CacheSet/CacheSet 16400 65536
echo -n .
/usr/bin/sleep 30
done

C:\>

I used CygWin because of the sleep command - I have it installed anyway.

You might want to try to rewrite it to .bat by using the sleep command found in the MS Resource Kit:

http://malektips.com/xp_dos_0002.html

I'm also looking for ideas to avoid opening a window when the batch file starts. For now, I run it with a shortcut and set it to Run: Minimized
--
Bartoki
markus_b View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markus_b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 10:12am
There is another thread of a fellow forum user who modified cacheset to reset the system cache in regular intervals.

See: http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=7966

Markus
Markus, Switzerland
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic