Print Page | Close Window

Securom blacklisted ProcessExplorer

Printed From: Sysinternals
Category: Sysinternals Utilities
Forum Name: Process Explorer
Forum Description: Process Explorer questions, suggestions, comments and bug reports
URL: http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10337
Printed Date: 19 September 2014 at 12:48pm

Topic: Securom blacklisted ProcessExplorer
Posted By: Spikeles
Subject: Securom blacklisted ProcessExplorer
Date Posted: 17 March 2007 at 9:59pm
I saw posts in the other forums about FileMon and RegMon causing Securom to block programs from running. Well it seems that ProcessExplorer can be added to this list.

I noticed it when running Armed Assault.
http://www.flashpoint1985.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard311/ikonboard.cgi?s=8a73dbfaf0623aadec81053a1ba07343;act=ST;f=68;t=59794 - Here

Considering that these programs are now official Microsoft programs i would have thought that Securom might allow them, but alas no. Any chance of Mark or any other Microsoft rep getting up Sony ( who makes it ). I use ProcessExplorer as a replacement for my task manager so it is mighty annoying.

Replies:
Posted By: throx
Date Posted: 12 April 2007 at 11:44pm
This is highly annoying, because it doesn't just detect ProcMon running but the driver being loaded.  As there's no easy way to unload the driver without rebooting it means that SecuRom protected disks are now just as annoying to me as StarForce used to be.  I really don't think it's unrealistic to start calling these highly intrusive copy protection schemes "malware".

So, I'll be avoiding SecuRom games now until the inevitable crack comes out.  It's frustrating to have to crack games I actually own because the publishers deliberately make them inoperable with the way I run my system but what else am I supposed to do?

I would also like to add my voice to those requesting Microsoft request that Macrovision stop being quite so ridiculous in their copy protection, or at least provide some workaround for those of us that like using Process Explorer to be able to monitor our systems.  Surely there's some happy middle ground?

Posted By: StuWhitby
Date Posted: 13 April 2007 at 4:11am
Uhh, not too sure if Mark and Sony get on very well after his previous involvement in their "copy protection" rootkit lawsuit Wink   This just looks like Sony being petty about it and not actually realising the mistakes that they're making.

Actually, maybe "petty" was the wrong choice of word.  The fact that SecuRom is preventing drivers being loaded for software which will allow users to see what it's doing is another form of rootkit. 

-------------
Disclaimer: No *knowingly* inaccurate information has been posted here. All comments should be taken with a sense of humour.

Posted By: grammarye
Date Posted: 18 April 2007 at 7:29am
Having run into this myself when it was used for the first time by EA (on Command and Conquer 3 as it happened), I contacted SecuROM's Technical Support and they have at least logged an issue with this (I even got a reply from their developers not just the support team) as they seemed to agree that it's stupid to block Process Explorer.

I've yet to see a resulting patch however, so this might have just been an excuse to get rid of me :)

-------------
Using 3D graphics is fun. Programming 3D graphics is ok. Testing 3D graphics is frustration defined.

Posted By: Betras
Date Posted: 26 April 2007 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by throx throx wrote:

This is highly annoying, because it doesn't just detect ProcMon running but the driver being loaded.  As there's no easy way to unload the driver without rebooting it means that SecuRom protected disks are now just as annoying to me as StarForce used to be.  I really don't think it's unrealistic to start calling these highly intrusive copy protection schemes "malware".

Yeah, with this move Sony's SecuROM has gone far beyond the inconvenience I've ever gotten from StarForce.  At least with games protected by THAT crappy protection I only ever had to reboot once.  Now I get to do it every time I need to look at processes in depth, and then want to go back and play Armed Assault :(

I hear that the European release of STALKER is hit with the same version, although as near as I can tell the North American version is pretty much completely copy protection free, only requiring the key for multiplayer.  THQ is a pretty cool publisher lately, it's surprisingly refreshing to not be treated as a criminal when purchasing games.

The link in the first post of this thread has discussion about this on the official ArmA forums, with no resolution besides not running PE at all.  It's kind of irritating that people argue about lawsuit nonsense and ignore the more pressing point which is the inability to run PE and play games using this copy protection Dead.

Now that the North American release of ArmA is just a few days away, and it's uses the same invasive version of SecuROM, I'm going to have to go most of the time without running Process Explorer :(  Without being able to run a critical app like PE it feels like my system is running unpatched and wide open to anything.  Argh.  ARGH I SAY.

Print Page | Close Window