Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Explorer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

** Process Explorer Bugs **

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 78>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote albannach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 November 2012 at 10:08pm
Process Explorer 15.13 64bit for Windows 7 64bit
Win32 native process, 32bit.

If, in Process Explorer's main screen, you select a process, double-click on it to open the process's properties dialog box, and then select 'threads',
then Process Explorer will read the .pdb program database/debug information for the process to
determine the threads' entry points.

If the process then exits, and you close the process properties dialog box, then Process Explorer
does not close the .pdb file.

This prevents you from recompiling the process.
I can't see a way to release the .pdb files without either
1) Exiting Orocess Explorer, or
2) Using the 'find handle' dialog box, and forcibly closing the .pdb handle
romkyns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romkyns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2012 at 12:09pm

As present as ever in v15.* (thread: http://forum.sysinternals.com/topic25545_post137942.html)

Edited by romkyns - 05 December 2012 at 12:10pm
cornflake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cornflake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 December 2012 at 3:15am
I'm writing to follow up on something I wrote earlier this year. Process Explorer in Windows XP SP3 shows [The handle is invalid.] for some processes. Seems to be arbitrary.
I'm using 15.23 now on Windows XP SP3 x86

durian29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote durian29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2012 at 8:04pm

Originally posted by cornflake cornflake wrote:

I'm writing to follow up on something I wrote earlier this year. Process Explorer in Windows XP SP3 shows [The handle is invalid.] for some processes. Seems to be arbitrary.
I'm using 15.23 now on Windows XP SP3 x86

I have the ¿same? problem since v15.02, some processes have the icon and description empty, and the image tab in process properties doesn't show any info, in path it shows: [Controlador no válido.] (in spanish), reopening the process sometimes solves the problem, and It really seems to be arbitrary. 

XP sp3, v15.23

Edited by durian29 - 15 December 2012 at 8:08pm
SyKoTiK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SyKoTiK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2012 at 3:53pm
I'm not sure if this bug has been reported in the past already but I just noticed that even if the option to only allow one instance of Process Explorer is selected, if you try to launch an instance of Process Explorer and then try to launch another before the first instance's window has been displayed you will end up with two instances, thus defeating the feature entirely.

Edit:  This bug seems to be more easily duplicated while Windows is first loading background processes and start-up applications.  Once Windows is fully loaded it is much harder to duplicate due to the speed at which the Process Explorer window is displayed.

Edited by SyKoTiK - 17 December 2012 at 3:57pm
Dr Who View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 December 2012 at 8:42am
Spotted a small problem in v.15.23, when selecting 'Users' from the menubar, then select your user name or another from the list you able to 'Send Message...', if you do the message is truncated based upon the bite count, I guess.
billyj View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billyj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 February 2013 at 11:30am
I understand CPU cycle based accounting shows higher usage than Task Manager, but I believe I found an issue with it. This is in 15.23 as well as 15.3.

On a ThinkPad T61, vanilla Win7 Ultimate x64 installation, ProcExp shows around 40% CPU usage while Task Manager shows 0-2%. In ProcExp, I can see consistently TaskMan CPU around say 15%. I close TaskMan, expecting the CPU usage would go down by about that. But it does not, it still stays around 40%, with the 15% now shifted to ProcExp.
Another example, on the same machine, but on my regular Win7 x64 install: Firefox consistently showing 35% or more, ProcExp 3%, total CPU 50%. I close Firefox down, total CPU goes down very little, but now ProcExp is showing at 15%.

Bottom line: It seems to be shifting of CPU percentages among processes with the total CPU way high. The behaviour is independent of the length of the update interval.

When I put the hard drive with the Win7 vanilla install into an X61 tablet, ProcExp shows reasonable CPU usage (6% or so). There is none of this moving cycles around and excessive CPU compared with the Task Manager. The X61 and T61 are same generation, very similar hardware, the X61 is actually having a weaker processor.

I know it is the machine that triggers this behaviour because it happens with two different installations of Windows 7 x64.

Happy to provide more information or run tests. Apologies if this is a known issue.
jhmeyers View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhmeyers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2013 at 5:32pm
In 15.23 on XP/SP3:
The keyboard SpaceBar is supposed to pause/resume updating,
but on a system with more than one processor it does not,
apparently because of the "Show one graph per CPU" check box,
which instead is merely toggled per each press of the SpaceBar,
no matter which tab of the "System Information" window has focus.

The only way I thus can pause/resume updating is through the menu,
which is a lot more awkward. Thanks for the great utility.
veitekki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote veitekki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 February 2013 at 10:00pm
My problem is that i can't get the process explorer to start with shortcuts only by opening it manually. This is after changing it so that it should replace the normal task manager.

By shortcuts i mean the keyboard shortcuts ctrl-shift-esc or using ctrl-alt-del and then selecting "start task manager"

This is with PE. 15,3 on Win 7 on a standard user account.

Edit: Was able to fix this by logging on as admin user and going through the need steps there to replace the task manager with process explorer.

Edited by veitekki - 26 February 2013 at 3:18am
thombat View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 March 2013 at 9:36pm
For the past few months I've had procexp crashing reliably on Win 7 64bit during the initial signature verification phase. I'm unsure what version I first had, currently on 15.3 - only isolated this today by zeroing HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sysinternals\Process Explorer\VerifySignatures.

When it first occurred I hadn't just updated procexp or changed the verify setting so presumably the crash relates to a particular EXE (or version) that changed sometime before then - I don't run procexp all that often so can't isolate it better.

I tried looking with procmon in the hopes of seeing a file op immediately prior to the crash however it's actually very quiet during verification so I guess all the disk access is just VM paging in the binaries as it scans them. So I don't know what EXE faults it - maybe grovelling around in a crash dump would finger an address.

The crash has been entirely reliable with procexp running by itself but is intermittent when procmon runs alongside it - a lot of extra thrashing then so maybe it's timing dependent?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 78>
  Share Topic