Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Explorer
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - ProcExp showing higher CPU usage than Task Manager
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ProcExp showing higher CPU usage than Task Manager

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2011 at 7:46am
Originally posted by Soul--Reaver Soul--Reaver wrote:

A Q6600 can scale down to 66% and a T8100 to around 40% but the difference in graphcs is gigantic (see this post: http://forum.sysinternals.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25545&PID=127926&title=procexp-showing-higher-cpu-usage-than-task-manager#127926)

I have a Q6600. At 66%, I get around 9.4 billion cycles/sec for all processes combined (including Idle), and around 9.2 billion cycles/sec for Idle. If I force the frequency to be 97%, I get the same numbers. I really have no idea why this problem occurs, since on Intel CPUs since "Core" (or even earlier) the RDTSC instruction should increase at a constant rate with respect to wall time. Even if the time stamp counter was slowed down, I don't see why that would lead to just Idle having fewer cycles/sec than usual. But I'm just speculating here.Unhappy
PH, a free and open source process viewer.
romkyns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romkyns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2011 at 12:07pm
I use the PE tray icon on my laptop as an indicator of "something is eating lots of your battery". Version 14.1 and above fail miserably at showing how much CPU is actually being consumed, in "absolute" terms.

Originally posted by jawz101 jawz101 wrote:

I have to think there is a different way to visualize speed stepping aside from scaling down the cpu graph.

For example, by showing the current frequency as a % on the very same usage graph, like the Resource Monitor so cleverly does:

It's immediately obvious (to someone who knows the colors) that the CPU is running at 55% capacity, and that 20% of the max capacity (which is roughly a third of the current capacity) are being used by software.

Pretty please for v16 of Process Explorer: do this too, and revert to the "normal" CPU usage value throughout PE. It's just silly that Process Explorer does so much worse a job of visualizing CPU usage than standard Win7 software!

Edited by romkyns - 02 August 2011 at 12:24pm
mikelonergan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikelonergan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 August 2011 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by romkyns romkyns wrote:

I use the PE tray icon on my laptop as an indicator of "something is eating lots of your battery". Version 14.1 and above fail miserably at showing how much CPU is actually being consumed, in "absolute" terms.

Pretty please for v16 of Process Explorer: do this too, and revert to the "normal" CPU usage value throughout PE. It's just silly that Process Explorer does so much worse a job of visualizing CPU usage than standard Win7 software!

Exactly my usage of PE as well - laptop battery consumption indicator.  I've been concerned about this for months, assumed it was a bug in PE, figured it would eventually get flushed out of the code.  Now I find out that the app is just really terrible at *reporting*?  That I can no longer rely on it as a means of telling me when my system has been taken over by runaway processes or other CPU-intensive operations that I don't want?

Well, back to v14.0 for me until Mark & co get a clue that it doesn't matter how technically "right" this is - it's just not a *useful* metric and we're going to have to go elsewhere (or elsewhen) to get the kind of information we used to expect (and rely on implicitly) from PE.
zakk View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zakk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 4:21pm
I hope that the previous way of calculating cpu will be added again to Process Explorer, as an extra option.

I find it confusing the way it currently is - I've restored the forgottten windows task manager (removed Process Explorer's association ) for this particular reason...

PS. I have windows 7 x64 and the cpu is Intel Mobile Core2 Duo T5870  @2.00GHz.

Edited by zakk - 12 October 2011 at 4:30pm
romkyns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romkyns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2012 at 12:01pm
If you're hoping that maybe this bug has been fixed in the last year... dream on.

Mark, why are you so set on making it impossible to use the latest ProcExp versions? Do you really, honestly think the above output makes any sense whatsoever?

I don't buy the "different calculation" argument: if you go to the System Information window, individual core graphs work correctly. All that's needed to fix this is to add up whatever numbers you show for individual cores. There's no excuse for this bug.

For users: if you're affected by this bug, you did nothing wrong. Just go back to v14.1 until this is fixed. Except if you're on Win8, then you're SOL.

Edited by romkyns - 05 December 2012 at 12:37pm
Astara View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Astara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 12:00am
You might try http://sourceforge.net/projects/processhacker/.

Tried it when PE development all but ceased.

romkyns View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote romkyns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 11:40am
Indeed, Astara. I've been using it for almost a week now and wow, has it caught up feature-wise since the last time I tried it! About the only thing I miss is the "target marker" feature, to jump to a process by pointing at a window. There's probably a plugin for that, I should try searching for one.

Pity how ProcExp wasn't open-source and all that work had to be re-done from scratch.

Edited by romkyns - 12 December 2012 at 11:41am
wj32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wj32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 7:43am
Originally posted by romkyns romkyns wrote:

Indeed, Astara. I've been using it for almost a week now and wow, has it caught up feature-wise since the last time I tried it! About the only thing I miss is the "target marker" feature, to jump to a process by pointing at a window. There's probably a plugin for that, I should try searching for one.

At the risk of this being completely off-topic: it's the little window icon on the toolbar, when you enable the ToolStatus plugin.
PH, a free and open source process viewer.
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 December 2012 at 7:24pm
@wj32

a bit OT, but I can't compile the latest SVN version.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic