Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Monitor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Procmon Blue Screening VM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tseward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Procmon Blue Screening VM
    Posted: 30 November 2012 at 3:11pm
Here's an odd one...

I'm running Proc Mon (current release as of yesterday) in a Server 2008 R2 SP1 VM running on Hyper-V 3.0 (Win 8 Pro) with the 3.0 ICs.

While a SharePoint 2010 installation is processing, I'm running Proc Mon to watch the installation.  At some point during this process, I get a SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION calling out PROCMON23.SYS.

Ideas?  I've rebuild the VM from scratch a couple of times.  I've run memtest on the host overnight and completed 3 successful passes.

Here is the memory dump: http://sdrv.ms/U6s7H3
brianlala View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianlala Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 5:06am
Same issue here. Like Trevor I was trying to monitor & troubleshoot file activity while SharePoint 2010 was installing with a slipstreamed Cumulative Update. I've also generated a memory dump, available at http://sdrv.ms/TxNYMc

Brian
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 7:41am
I've send Mark a mail. Wait of a reply from him.
tseward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tseward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2012 at 5:51pm
Brian, it looks like your memory dump is pretty much the same as mine (or at least the same process is called out).  Thanks for posting that.

Thanks Andre, we'll wait to hear back from Mark!
Romaschka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romaschka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 December 2012 at 9:25am
The same behavior, another program...

No reply till yet.

Roman.
Mark View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 12:57am
Is anyone willing to run a debug version to see if they can get a dump that provides me more information?
tseward View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tseward Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 2:16am
Yes, I can run a debug version.

Here are the repro steps:
Hyper-V on Windows 8 or VirtualBox (don't know which version, Brian tried it on VB).
Guest is Server 2008 R2 SP1, no patches (or fully patched), from a SharePoint 2010 w/ SP1 ISO, extract the contents to the virtual disk of the guest.  Download the October 2012 CU for SharePoint Server and extract that to the same path, but in the \Updates folder.  Modify the Logging value for MsiInstaller to voicewarmupx (don't know if Brian did this part, but I need the debug log files from the SharePoint installation).  Run the SharePoint installation process -- it'll take a few minutes, but it should eventually BSOD.
Romaschka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romaschka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 December 2012 at 10:57am
Sure!
Romaschka View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Romaschka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 January 2013 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Mark Mark wrote:

Is anyone willing to run a debug version to see if they can get a dump that provides me more information?

Hello Mark,

I would like to test a debug version, if I'd get one...

Roman.
BSOD2600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSOD2600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 January 2013 at 10:17pm
Just another me too post.

Windows 2008 SP2 + VMWare image, Procmon 3.3, Sophos 9.5 caused a KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000008e) BSOD with Windbg pointing at PROCMON23.SYS.  Occurred right away when launching procmon. Let me know if you're interested in the minidump. For some reason, the system only generated a minidump even though Windows is configured for Kernel (no memory.dmp created).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic