Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > PsTools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

PsExec / StdErr

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cncoats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PsExec / StdErr
    Posted: 16 November 2012 at 4:17pm
Has anyone found a way to redirect the StdErr output of PSExec (or any other pstool)?  I'm just attempting to inspect the "error code" output of a command in which I'm executing regedit on a remote server:

<command>
psexec \\$servername /s /accepteula regedit.exe /s c:\temp\addstuff.reg

psexec.exe :
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo          : NotSpecified: (:String) [], RemoteException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : NativeCommandError

PsExec v1.98 - Execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2010 Mark Russinovich
Sysinternals - www.sysinternals.com
Connecting to ncs-arm01-v-a...Starting PsExec service on servername..Connecting with PsExec service on servername...Starting c:\windows\regedit.exe on
servername...
c:\windows\regedit.exe exited on servername with error code 0.
</command>

(I want to ensure that the above command exits with code 0 while my script is processing)

Using the stderr -> stdout redirect does not seem to be working (2>&1)

rmetzger View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rmetzger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 November 2012 at 8:30pm
Instead of redirecting stderr to stdout 2>&1, can you simply try redirecting stderr to a file:

psexec \\$servername /s /accepteula regedit.exe /s c:\temp\addstuff.reg 1>"stdout.txt" 2>"stdERR.txt"

Note that 1> and 2> point to Different files, otherwise 2> will try to open the 1> file and it is already in use.

You may need to be more specific Where these files are written. (I assume \\$servername\current path\stderr.txt may need to be better defined than I have listed above.)

How does this work for you?
Ron Metzger
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic