Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAMMap - Driver Locked

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shindo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAMMap - Driver Locked
    Posted: 28 June 2010 at 10:03pm
I am running Windows 7 64-bit with 12GB RAM.  I currently have 4GB set up as a RAM drive scratch disk for GFX editing.  As such, Windows only detects 8GB RAM, which is fine.  However, when I ran RAMMap, I see that there is about 4GB shown as "Driver Locked", which means that I'm now really only running on 4GB of 12GB installed.

Can any of the other SysInternals tools help me figure out what is using this memory?

jamesd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 1:19pm
Can anyone tell us what the driverlocked means?
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 September 2011 at 5:33pm
what the name indicates. A driver locked some memory so that other tool can use it.

Driver Locked: These are pages that have been locked in physical RAM by a driver. This can be done for small/temporary purposes like I/O or for larger/longer allocations like RAM drives or other large locked memory reservations. For more details see http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/driver/tips/mmprobe.mspx.

This is done by drivers from VM tools like VMWare, VirtualBox.
chadwick0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chadwick0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2012 at 9:01pm
We resolved this issue by ensuring that the amount of RAM that VMWare allocated to Windows matched the amount of RAM that VMWare told Windows that it had access to. In our case Windows thought it had access to 8Gb but VMWare was configured to only allow it access to 1Gb. With this configuration the driver locked usage was 5.4Gb. Once we synchronised these settings through the VMWare configuration the driver locked usage went down to 840k and the system stopped running slowly.
fm2ahmed View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fm2ahmed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 3:05pm
Hi,

Can u send me the instructions as to how i go about synchronizing the VMWare memory settings so that it reflects ur situation ? A step-by-step guide would be great.

Awaiting quick reply as its urgent issue.

Regards,
Farooq Ahmed
chadwick0 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chadwick0 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 July 2012 at 4:16pm
You need to open up the VMWare control panel for the server on which you are having the problem and ensure that the amount of memory that VMWare allocates to the server matches the memory that VMWare tells Windows it has available. Click through each of the tabs and check the memory settings.
M90210 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M90210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2012 at 9:53pm
I had the same issue and just posted a screenshot of the setting here: http://sysadmin-e.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/VM-Memory-Limit-ESX4.1.png. It's from VMware ESX 4.1.
sskelley333 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sskelley333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 September 2012 at 9:14pm
I also ran into this problem but my issue wasn't related to memory allocation settings.  Mine were already set.

I found mine was related to vmware tools.  Here is the forum article that I found related to it.

Uninstalling vmware tools brought the memory usage down.  I am currently determining if re-install the tools brings the problem back or not.  If not I'll be contacting vmware support.
war59312 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote war59312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 December 2012 at 1:27am
Well I have uninstalled and rebooted after uninstalling VMWare and VirtualBox and I still have 6GB of Driver Locked RAM.

Ugh, got to be a way to figure out which driver?

Tried msconfig > "Diagnostic startup" and that does indeed "fix" the issue.

Booted up in safe made and no problem of course either.

But of course I cant do either of those 2 things as a true fix.

Very annoying!

Update: Autoruns to the rescue. :)

Figured out the driver causing the issue was rxfcd.sys .

Which belongs to the service HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\FancyCcD .

Which turns out to be this software:

http://www.romexsoftware.com/en-us/fancy-cache/index.html

Of course it was user error on my part. I told it to use 6GB for its caches on accident. Whoops!

Well without Autoruns I probably would have taken a lot longer to figure it out (disabling services and drives in registry 1 by 1).

So problem solved. :) Re-installing VMWare and VirtualBox as I speak.

Edited by war59312 - 13 December 2012 at 12:18am
cguthrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cguthrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 December 2013 at 6:18pm
Thank you! We were seeing the same thing on SQL 2008R2 virtual server with poor performance and then eventually the server would stop responding and we would have to hard boot it.  4-6 Gb of memory would be missing and monitoring tools did not indicate any bottlenecks in resources.  Finally stumbled upon RAMMap which should 9Gb was assigned to driver locked and the above vmware link.   We found that resources had been allocated to this server after it was built but vmware configuration settings for memory available to windows were not synced up.  From reading other articles, it was suggested to set this to unlimited.  This is what we did and have not had any further problems.   
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic