Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RAMMap "Empty standby list"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooperdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RAMMap "Empty standby list"
    Posted: 28 December 2011 at 12:04pm
Hi, let me start by saying I'm an avid use of most Sysinternals utilities. The most useful to me right now is RAMMap.

This is because I have a strange problem with Windows 7 64bit cache. I use StorageCraft's ShadowProtect and ImageManager to manage images on my network. ImageManager routinely verifies images, and Windows puts part of these enormous files in the standby cache (the pc has 32Gb Ram). I don't know if this has something to do with Superfetch being on and the file being accessed by ImageManager continuously for minutes.

Anyway, then the pc goes to sleep and when it wakes up the file is still in cache. ImageManager will once in a while call the file back from the cache, and sometimes (not often, let's say once a week) this process goes awry, and my ram goes from 10% to 100% full in an instant. Before discovering RAMMap, I had to reboot because the system would become unusable.

Now with RAMMap's "Empty standby list" command I get my Ram back even after it's gone up to 100% full.

So I was wondering, is there a way to reproduce this command using a prompt, so that I can create a shortcut to apply it faster?

Also, is there a way to tell Windows 7 not to cache these particular files, or files from particular partitions? (I don't think so, but you never know)
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 December 2011 at 3:44pm
Look in the source code of wj32's ProcessHacker, it includes the command to clear the standby list. You can use this to code your own commandline tool. I don't know a way to tell Windows not to prefetch some data.
Cooperdale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooperdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 1:22am
Thanks, that's interesting. I'm a graphics guy and web developer mostly though, so I wouldn't know where to begin to code a commandline tool. I was hoping there was something like that out there already. It'd be kinda useful.
wj32 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote wj32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 4:57am
Here you go. Please do a virus scan before using.

http://www.mediafire.com/?epo2qh9s1ic4q6f

Edited by wj32 - 29 December 2011 at 5:03am
PH, a free and open source process viewer.
Cooperdale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cooperdale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 December 2011 at 11:15am
Thanks a lot! It works like a treat!
masterchi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 4:41pm
WJ32, do you mind relinking that file? I am having the same issue as Cooperdale with my Win764 machine caching the multiple VMs i run and out of the 16 gb i have about 8+ gb goes into standby and leaves me with 0 mb free and a complete lockup of my machine.

I tried the link you had posted earlier WJ32 but it says the file was deleted. Can you provide any help?? Thanks.
masterchi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote masterchi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2012 at 6:49pm
Nevermind, link worked on my iphone but not in google chrome. I just downloaded from my iphone and emailed it to myself and it works great. Thanks.
Squirre1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squirre1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 4:41am
I downloaded the EmptyStandbyList.exe and that works awesome... Is there any way to get the source for just that one little executable so that way I can see what functions you are calling...

Thanks,

Squirre1
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2012 at 8:42pm
look at the sourcecode of ProcessHacker for NtSetSystemInformation with SystemMemoryListInformation parameter
Averus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Averus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2012 at 1:00am
Originally posted by wj32 wj32 wrote:

Here you go. Please do a virus scan before using.

http://www.mediafire.com/?epo2qh9s1ic4q6f

can you make Empty modified page list ?
i am realy need it in one file for shedule it coz i have mem leak
and i am not a coder
tnx
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic