Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SDelete: Add Windows XP Support

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pleonasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SDelete: Add Windows XP Support
    Posted: 23 August 2006 at 1:25pm

Windows XP is not listed as a supported operating system for SDelete.  Please consider updating/upgrading SDelete to accommodate Windows XP, or - if the utility in fact works with Windows XP - updating the website documentation to reflect that fact and posting an announcement.

Thank you.

Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 August 2006 at 4:10pm
Hi, pleonasm.

Thanks for your hint. (If you dig deeper into some older Sysinternals pages you will find more of these omissions.)

Although its main topic is not XP support, some of the posts in this thread seem to indicate that sdelete will work on WinXP, too: My handy sdelete scripts.

Kind regards,
Karl
Pleonasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pleonasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 9:29am

Karl, I have read of several users reporting success using SDelete with Windows XP – unfortunately, I have also uncovered a few users who have documented disastrous results combining SDelete and Windows XP.  I cannot say, of course, whether the root cause of the problem is with SDelete, the user, or some other factor.

As a consequence of reading these few horror stories, I am quite hesitant to use SDelete with Windows XP until Sysinternals has ‘certified’ that it is okay to do so.

Can you kindly raise this question with Mark Russinovich?

Karlchen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Karlchen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 August 2006 at 10:52am
In the meantime, I'd suggest to use Eraser 5.8 instead.

Karl
Pleonasm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pleonasm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 August 2006 at 10:03am

Thanks, Karl.

Hopefully, we’ll all hear back from Mark Russinovich on this concern soon.

SDelete is unique among the excellent tools offered by Sysinternals, in so far as its failure can yield potentially catastrophic consequences.  In contrast, when other Sysinternals tools occasionally fail – for example, Process Explorer – no damage is done.  For this reason, caution may be the best path forward for the time being with respect to SDelete and Windows XP.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic