Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - send many CPUs' Custom Field details to database?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

send many CPUs' Custom Field details to database?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: send many CPUs' Custom Field details to database?
    Posted: 27 September 2012 at 11:03pm
I'm looking at several dozen machines with BGinfo -- three different Windows and three different Office versions on several different servers.

Each machine's BGinfo setting has, over time, been tweaked individually by users -- with varying success.

I'd like to get them sorted out.

Can I pull details of Custom Fields -- the Identifier, Type, and Path -- into a database or file?

Individual machines' Custom Fields may vary -- if only by typos -- different Identifier names pointing to the same Path, or the same Identifier name pointing to different Paths.
hank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2012 at 5:41pm
Further question -- is there a way to force the custom fields to _be_ exported to VMinfo?
It's not happening for me.
hank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2012 at 12:16am
PS -- I do work with competent programmers, tho I'm not one.

If I can find out enough to suggest it's doable they'll make it work.

If it's not possible noway nohow -- knowing that would help.

At worst I can take screenshots of each machine and each setting, or copy-paste out the details from the custom settings, and make my own list or table.

Just hoping -- since the info is there --- that BGinfo can export it or something else can read it out of BGinfo -- rather than using a meat tool (me) to copy it out.

I'll do that if I must, early next week.
hank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2012 at 4:55pm
No help. Looking elsewhere.
Email will notify me if anyone replies here.
'thanks in advance' as they say
WindowsStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindowsStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2012 at 6:37am
The no replies may have to do with: What is the goal here? Are you just trying to update BGinfo on many machines so it displays the same information? Are you trying to gather that information and add it to a database? Do both? Seems confusing. FYI: I only check this site once a week. -WS
hank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 October 2012 at 11:11pm
One problem solved -- after deleting the Excel file [call it info.xls]   and letting it get recreated-- all the custom fields appear and get updated.

Problem of custom fields that varied between machines evaded by having only one .BGI definition file, in a Dropbox folder on each machine. So no more inconsistent field definitions.

Answering your question above:

I'm trying to gather information and add it to a database

so I can keep track of which machines have what installed, need what changes/updates/etc.

Example: a "free space" field for C:\ to predict when a machine runs out of hard drive (Microsoft Update quits installing big updates around 5GB free, silently).
Example: a timestamp for when a file got changed.
Example: Office or Word version info
Got those working, showing up for each machine that reports in.

Wishlist now:
A way to add a persistent blank column to the info.xls file in which we can keep notes. "This needs C:\ bigger.   This needs updates. This has a problem ..." --- for each individual machine that reports in.

Can I do this by deleting info.xls, getting it recreated by one BGI operation, then adding a blank column for notes to a newly created info.xls, then opening and closing all the machines so they update the .xls file

and have that survive the daily revisions.
For example I have a column
WindowsStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindowsStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 October 2012 at 7:25am
Glad you have it working. Thanks for posting back your results and what you did, I am sure it will be of help to others that are trying to do the same sort of thing. Thanks again -WS
kfeina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfeina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 January 2013 at 6:55am
Hello;
you can centralize all your information in a database with bginfo4x (bginfo4x.sourceforge.net)

Regards.

hank View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2013 at 1:07am
Haven't tried bginfo4x yet (will, eventually, since we have some Mac OSX machines to add)

A note for anyone else who has both x86 and x64 Windows VMs and wants to minimize .bgi settings files by having them look to a .bgi file in Dropbox -- the trick that worked for us is having a shortcut in the Startup folder (copy BGinfo.exe, paste a shortcut into Windows Startup)

Then -- on the shortcut (not the actual .exe) right-click and look at Properties. In the Target field for the shortcut, paste in the application (which is in the individual VM) and path to the .BGI settings file (which is somewhere like Dropbox).

Not perfect yet -- the WordVersion field in vminfo.xls isn't filled in, for some of our VMs, yet; no obvious pattern, and it's right on the individual VM's desktop displays, just not getting into vminfo.xls.

But this gets more than halfway.

The above is from a beginner trying to explain; corrections welcome if I've not been clear, in trying to set out what an even more new beginner would need.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic