Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SERVER 2012: BGINFO Not Displaying on Desktop

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thai24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: SERVER 2012: BGINFO Not Displaying on Desktop
    Posted: 13 October 2012 at 12:24am
I can't seem to get BGINFO to display on the new Windows Server 2012 Desktop.

1.  I created a folder C:\BGINFO\
2.  I copied the BGINFO.EXE & Sysinfo.bgi & BGINFO.cmd there
3.  set in HKLM \run\  > pointing to BGINFO.cmd >  C:\BGINFO\bginfo64.exe C:\BGINFO\Sysinfo.bgi /SILENT /NOLICPROMPT /TIMER:0

I know it's in there somewhere but the desktop shows blank.  If I run it I can see a preview but it's not the same desktop because my Desktop icons aren't there.

This holds true for both RDP sessions and console sessions.

PS.  I even installed the MDT (MS Deployment Toolkit) 2012 and extracted the BGINFO64.exe to the C:\BGINFO\ but still no go.  So both for version 4.16 and MDT 2012

I know it must be something simple that I am missing.

Thx
WindowsStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WindowsStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2012 at 1:11am
Try making the folder \Program Files\BGInfo put everything in there and change your script to launch if from within Program Files. We had to do this on Windows Server 2008 R2 due to the higher security restrictions on the root of system drive. Let us know if that works. -WS
jwest View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jwest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 6:54am
I was seeing nothing either.  I noted you mentioned console sessions as well.  Is that the admin console session or really just mouse, monitor and keyboard?

What worked for me was a) user logging on having ACL's to the directory b) in the RDP client properties under the Experience tab was to check the box "Desktop Background."

kfeina View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfeina Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2013 at 5:26pm
Hello,

A new release of BGINFO4X has been created for Windows Server 2012. It is not based on CYGWIN.

At the moment, the automatic installer is not ready, but install it is very easy:
  • Download the latest version of BGINFO4X."latestverion".zip from http://bginfo4x.sourceforge.net
  • Unzip the program with your favorite program.
  • Open the unzipped folder and double-click in:
BGINFO4X for Windows.bat
or
BGINFO4X for Windows-hiddenconsole.bat

I hope you enjoy with the features

Please, report problems in the forum http://sourceforge.net/p/bginfo4x/discussion/
Find more information in http://sourceforge.net/p/bginfo4x/wiki/Documentation/

Regards.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic