Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

services.exe won't open

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimvierling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: services.exe won't open
    Posted: 29 March 2010 at 2:28pm
Hello. I haven't been here in awhile. I finally got a new computer.

New comp specs are:
AMD Athalon X2 250 3.0GHz
Gigabyte MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard
nVidia GTS 250 video card
4GB DDR3 PC3 PC1333 memory
Windows XP Pro SP3 build 2600

Anyways, I loaded Win XP Pro and did all the updates and things were going fine. I did all the things at http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html to optimize XP. Everything went fine for a couple of weeks, then I started getting the your system has recovered from something or other and check a box to run syscheck or something lkike that at reboot. It did that several times for 2 days then stopped doing it. It stopped after I defragged my hard drive. The defrag comes back as one file can not be defragged and shows 2 different areas of green when I run the analyze.

Anyways, I was going to check some things in system information when I discovered that one of the optimization processes caused that not to work anymore. Disbaling Help and Support. So I tried to go back into services.exe from the start - run box and it does nothing but close the box. Apparently somehow services.exe got disabled.

Is there a way to open it other than using the start - run?

Should I run the repair option with the Windows XP disc?

Edited by jimvierling - 29 March 2010 at 4:12pm
jimvierling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimvierling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 4:01pm
These questions are not related to the above problem. I am having a problem with the games at pogo going all spastic on me. I contacted pogo, but they didn't really give me anything other than try a different resolution setting. Which did not work. The game loads and then I get things like this http://yfrog.com/0epogovj where the area in the upper right corner flashes in and out. Really, really annoying. I don't think the problem is in my java as I was playing Runescape in high detail mode with no problems and it is java based.

Second question: Is there a way that I can switch to 1024X768 resolution and still have things appear like they do at 800X600. Meaning using the full monitor screen instead of getting smaller. I know I can maximize the window to take up the full screen, but the sites still stay at only using a part of the window when I do?

mark.murphy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mark.murphy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 4:21pm
jimvierling.

Services.exe is an executable that hosts windows services, it's not the means by which you manage services.  I think you may after the Services MMC snap-in, in which case try services.msc in the Run dialog box.

As for your question about the screen resolution, I suspect the game is running in 800x600 mode; so if you increase your screen resolution to 1024x768 then the game will still only utilise the first 800 pixel across, leaving a 224 pixels wide gap which I'm guessing is the area you're trying to utilise for the game play.  The same would be true for the first 600 pixel down, leaving a gap 168 pixel high at the bottom of the screen.

I'd imagine that is only resolvable by the game providing it's setting for which video resolution to run in.  When you changed from 800z600 to 1024x768, was the game already running ?  If so, try setting to the higher resolution before starting the game as it may detect the resolution as it starts up.
jimvierling View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimvierling Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 March 2010 at 5:56pm
Well, thanks to you and a big DUH to me.

It would seem that somehow my java got corrupted, because the flashing stopped after reinstalling.

I checked the game on almost all my resolution settings and found that if I increase the magnification on the status bar that the game will be bigger when it loads in the pop-up window as well. I get the message window that the best resolution for my computer is 1280X1024, but that is a little too much eye strain.

Please feel free to delete this thread to save on space.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic