Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > PsTools
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shipping PSExec with application

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shipping PSExec with application
    Posted: 04 February 2013 at 5:47pm
Hi,

We are using PSExec as part of our product to install an application on remote computers. I would like to understand what the licensing restrictions are around shipping PSExec with our product.

Here are the options in order of preference:

1. We package PSExec as part of our MSI.
2. We host PSExec for download on our website and automatically download it as part of the installation process of our application.
3. Automatically download PSexec directly from the sysinternals site as part of our installation process of our application.
4. We ask the customer to download the application from the PSExec website and point our application to the binary.

Which option will work in terms of the licensing?

I would really appreciate help on this!

Thanks.
WindowsStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote WindowsStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 3:34am
I would say #4 is the only option:

From the web site:

Sysinternals Licensing FAQ

Published: September 28, 2009

Q: How many copies of Sysinternals utilities may I freely load or use on computers owned by my company?

A: There is no limit to the number of times you may install and use the software on your devices or those you support.

Q: May I distribute Sysinternals utilities in my software, on my website, or with my magazine?

A: No. We are not offering any distribution licenses, even if the 3rd party is distributing them for free. We encourage people to download the utilities from our download center where they can be assured to get the most recent version of the utility.

Q: Can I license or re-use any Sysinternals source code?

A: No. We will no longer offer the Sysinternals source code for download or license.

Q: Will the Sysinternals tools continue to be freely available?

A: Yes, Microsoft has no plans to remove or charge for these tools..

Q: Is there technical support available for the Sysinternals tools?

A: No. All Sysinternals tools are offered 'as is' with no official Microsoft support. We do maintain a Sysinternals dedicated community support forum: http://forum.sysinternals.com/

neald View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neald Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 February 2013 at 5:25pm
Thank you for the quick response.

As previously mentioned, our application spawns off the PSExec binary to install our client application on remote computers.

1. I wanted to confirm that we are in fact allowed to use PSExec as part of our product in this way or what the restrictions are around "integrating" or re-using PSExec as part of another product.

2. Do you know if we would be allowed to automatically download PSExec from within our application if we prompt the user with the PSExec license agreement?

Hoping you can assist on these questions. 
Thank you.

Edited by neald - 05 February 2013 at 5:25pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic