Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Miscellaneous Utilities
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should Portmon work on 32-bit Windows 7?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should Portmon work on 32-bit Windows 7?
    Posted: 16 March 2012 at 6:14pm
Hi there:

Is Portmon 3.03 supported on 32-bit Windows 7?  I am able to run the executable but it doesn't show any ports or allow remote access to another computer.  (There's not even a Computer menu item.)

Thanks.
JCS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JCS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 March 2012 at 3:07pm

Hi,

I'm having the same problem.

Running in:
- windows 7 32bit.
- from Harddrive (not from a networkdrive).
- firewall turned off
- a user with administrative previleges;
- with elevated privileges (doing "run as administrator" from mouse right button click menu).

Using PortMon 3.02:
Choosing "Connect Local" Portmon exits immediately.
In evenviewer appears the following error:
    Description:
        Faulting application name: PORTMON.EXE, version: 3.0.2.0, time stamp: 0x394671a3
        Faulting module name: PORTMON.EXE, version: 3.0.2.0, time stamp: 0x394671a3
        Exception code: 0xc0000005
        Fault offset: 0x00010e96
        Faulting process id: 0x3f4
        Faulting application start time: 0x01cd075d3c168769
        Faulting application path: C:\MyDir\Tools\Drivers\PORTMonitor\PORTMON.EXE
        Faulting module path: C:\MyDir\Tools\Drivers\PORTMonitor\PORTMON.EXE
        Report Id: 7e21d90a-7350-11e1-baac-e89a8f229943

Choosing "Connect To Another Computer" and putting "127.0.0.1" ens up displaying, after a while, an error message saying that it cannot connect to remote computer please start the Portmon Client.

Using PortMon 3.03:
"Computer" Menu item does not appear at all, and “Ports” menu item is displayed at gray (disabled). 

I Hope these details may help someone to figure out what is the problem and that may result in a fix or workaround to this issue.
Thanks
Jose C Silva
BSOD2600 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BSOD2600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 7:43pm
Me too post.

Windows 7 SP1 x64.
Portmon 3.03.

Portmon fails to launch, even when running with admin credential stating Error 2.  Event logs contain the following 2 events.
-----
Application popup:  : \??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysinternals\PORTMSYS.SYS failed to load
----
\??\C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysinternals\PORTMSYS.SYS has been blocked from loading due to incompatibility with this system. Please contact your software vendor for a compatible version of the driver.
Dax1792 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dax1792 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 April 2012 at 10:01pm
It's not the same thing. You've got a 64bit system. If you look on the right of the Portmon download page, you'll see it's only supported on 32bit systems.
TallMan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TallMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2012 at 10:59am
On a 32bit system, I get an Audit Failure in the Event Log: "Code integrity determined that the image hash of a file is not valid", with matching Windows Error Reporting event in the Application Event Log.

On 64 bit Win7, that might be a problem, in which case you could try booting with device signing turned off to use portmon.

But the observed problem is actually the same on both my 32 and 64 bit machines: sometimes portmon can't see any serial ports. On Win7-32, sometimes the problem goes away. I haven't tried as much on Win7-64, so I can't report any further.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic