Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Sloooow boot - 45+ minutes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 12:08pm
You should backup all personal data and completely reinstall Windows.
steveu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 4:44pm
I was guessing that's were I was heading...
thanks,

steveu
steveu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2012 at 8:26pm
I was kidding at first about deleting them because I thought I'd have to do it one key at a time.  But I found a utility RegScanner by NirSoft that can search for them and delete them en-mass.  Short of two days of rebuilding the computer, good idea or bad idea?
thanks,

steveu
MagicAndre1981 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:45am
bad idea. Your Windows had malware and you don't know what the malware did with your system. So backup all data and reinstall. Also change all your passwords after the reinstall.
steveu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 7:19pm
Knew LOL you'd say that!  Probably just as fast anyway, I came across someone else with the same result as I and they said it took 4 days to get rid of the entries.  No mention of how their machine worked afterwards.  Your idea is definitely best for peace of mind.

One last question, I had updated all my drivers and was about to flash the bios when I got your news about the 40000 entries.  I'm not sure if I should do the bios after I rebuild.  And look to you for advice.  It's an AMI bios but they only offer support for their own motherboards.

I don't have much faith in emachine's after-sale support, especially because they date the only update as 10/06/2009 yet the oldest file in the download is from 2006.

Finally, the supporting docs state that the upgrade is for Model MS-7207.  But HWiNFO, and other scanners, all say I have a: Mainboard Name: MS-7207G.                                                   

I'm nervous about doing this because all the discussion about bios flashing threaten instant death if it's messed up.  And I've already done enough damage....Confused

So, what's your thinking - flash or no flash after rebuild?

BIOS history for Gateway MS-7207
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Model: MS-7207 PCB: 2.0
Old Version: A7207NE7.116 Build Date: 03/10/06
new Version: A7207NE7.117

1.Update bios NVMM version to 4.061.1102

Old Version: A7207NE7.115 Build Date: 03/02/06
new Version: A7207NE7.116

1.Fixed USB compability issue with some device.

Old Version: A7207NE7.114 Build Date: 02/20/06
new Version: A7207NE7.115

1.Fixed "press F12 can not be boot from Lan"

2.Set the following BIOS setting default
USB Keyboard Support                      Enabled
        USB Controller                            Enabled
        USB Dev. Wake-Up from S3                  Enabled
thanks,

steveu
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 February 2012 at 11:23pm
Don't update the BIOS if the reinstall was ok and everything works.

create a new CD with Sp3 + all updates and drivers integrated. You can use nLite for it:

http://www.nliteos.com/download.html

Backup all data, format the PC and install Windows XP again with the new CD which includes everything (Sp3, drivers, updates).
steveu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steveu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:39am
Thanks, I won't flash the bios.  I've tried the nliteos route 3 or so years ago.  At the time, it didn't work with OEM versions of windows.

Thanks again for all your help, it's been excellent!

steveu
thanks,

steveu
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MagicAndre1981 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 February 2012 at 1:35pm
ok. If you have other questions ask again and we try to help you.
Cremaster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cremaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 March 2012 at 4:36pm
This is normal. Get more memory, get rid of aol, and update your computer every 3 months.

It is designed that way.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic