Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Windows Discussions > Troubleshooting
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FleetCommand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block
    Posted: 13 June 2009 at 2:01pm
Hi, everyone

I have problem deciphering the following error entries in my System event log. Recently, I get a lot of the following errors.
  1. Event ID: 7
    Type: Error
    Source: disk
    "The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block." (Most prevalent)
  2. Event ID: 11
    Type: Error
    "The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk2\D."
  3. Event ID: 51
    Type: Warning
    "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk2\D during a paging operation."
These events look unsettling. They look like omens of impending doom. But the question is: Exactly which hard disk or partition is affected? Times and again I run CHKDSK on all my partitions with /F /R /V switches but no serious error is found. Then why do I keep getting these errors?

I spent a lot of time reading articles on Microsoft Help and Support as well as other websites but to no avail. I still do not understand what does "Harddisk2" means and what does "\D" means. Can anyone please tell me?

Thanks in advance.
jimsturtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsturtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 February 2010 at 11:30pm
did you ever figure it out.  i am having a similar issue.  thanks. jim
redhawk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 12:43am
This post may have some relevance to your problem.

Richard S.
FleetCommand View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FleetCommand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 7:39am
^ I did look up that forum post too, before posting this. The problem is: According to what I have discovered yet, the issue must be my third hard disk, second partition! Well, I don't have a third hard disk!

Oh, I know what you may be thinking: An external hard disk or flash drive perhaps? No luck with that too, because neither my external hard disk nor my flash memories have a second partition!

Anyway, the problem stoped some times ago...
jimsturtz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimsturtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 1:31pm
appreciate the reply.  ive been getting that message for the last several weeks but when i run chkdsk nothing pops out.  i have several drives w/ several partitions and i havent a clue which drive theyre talking of.  thanks.  jim
nullptr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nullptr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 February 2010 at 2:26pm
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk[Num]
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk[Num] during a paging operation

I come across these entries quite regularly. Often they're related to an external HD that is waking from sleep mode.

A PC I worked on last week was reporting controller errors on \Device\Harddisk...\... , turned out it was a faulty 5 in 1 card reader Wacko
wmucha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wmucha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 2:09pm
Thanks to all contributors...even though many of the fixes appeared convoluted, a polling of different forums revealed the most likely fix to be the HDD power cable...changing from the new SATA power to the optional 4 pin power appears to be the answer for me...and it makes the most sense, IMO.
Also changed out the SATA cable. System is now running without errors after all of the symptoms described above.
New GA-MA786-US2H running WinXP
SATA drive running in IDE mode...just haven't installed ICH_ drivers yet.

snoone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote snoone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2010 at 3:54pm
To speak to the original question, you can figure out which disk the error is occurring on through the Disk Management console. Start->Run->diskmgmt.msc indicates which disk numbers have which partitions on them and the disk numbers match up with the \Device\HardDiskN names (i.e. \Device\HardDisk2 is "Disk 2" in the disk management console).

-scott

Gordonell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gordonell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2013 at 3:38pm
Smile
This is still relevant today just had the error with an SD reader on Win 7.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic