Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Explorer
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

svchost uses 70-100% CPU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaglehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: svchost uses 70-100% CPU
    Posted: 07 November 2007 at 3:58pm
I don't believe it is a virus but I an baffeled why Svchost (NETWORK Service) is using 70-100 % of my CPU for the first 3-4 Minutes of startup. After that it drops to normal
It is a verified Micrsoft Process and here is the info from Process Explorer
Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
(Verified) Microsoft Windows Publisher
Version: 5.01.2600.2180
Time: 8/4/2004 7:00 AM
Path:C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
Command line:C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe -k NetworkService
Current directory:C:\WINDOWS\system32\
Parent: services.exe(780)
User: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
Started: 2:32:04 PM 11/8/2007

Thread 1676
kernal32.dll!createThread+0x22
svchost.exe+0x22
dnsrslvr.dll!ServiceMain+0x537
dnsrslvr.dll+0x464b
kernel32.dll!createThread+0x22
RPCRT4dll!_RpcBDCacheFree+0x5ea
ADCAPI32.dll!RegDeleteKeyW+0xfd

Stack
ntkrnlpa.exe+0x69c02
ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x1900
ntkrnlpa.exe!ZwYieldExecution+0x196c
ntkrnlpa.exe!NtConnectPort+0x1cc8
ntkrnlpa.exe!KeReleaseInStackQueuedSpinLockFromDpcLevel+0xb14
ntdll.dll!KiFastSystemCallRet
RPCRT4.dll!I_RpcBCacheFree+0x61c
RPCRT4.dll!I_RpcBCacheFree+0x43e
RPCRT4.dll!I_RpcBCacheFree+0x604
kernel32.dll!GetModuleFileNameA+0x1b4

TCP/IP
Protocol UDP
Local Address (computers name)
Remote Address *.*
State (is blank)
Every DLL is verified Microsoft otherwise I would be concerned about a possible Virus.
AV picks up nothing same for Spyware Programs.
Any thoughts.   I am just curious to find out more about this.

Edited by eaglehorse - 07 November 2007 at 3:59pm
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 4:17pm
Hi Russ,

You've posted a bunch of information, but to be sure...
Usually, one course of action for dealing with this type of issue is to configure symbols in Process Explorer. Then, when the problem is happening, inspect the properties of the process in question (svchost.exe, in this case, it would seem) and look at the Threads tab.  Sort by the "CSwitch Delta" column and note the full stack of the topmost thread.

Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
eaglehorse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaglehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 4:59pm
I think the info you led me to is a little ahead of me in the power curve. I am just beginning to understand the basics of process explorer(want to understand more). I am not following what you mean exactly about the debugger.    
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2007 at 6:33pm
1) Download and install the Debugging Tools For Windows
2) Go to PE's Options | Configure Symbols, and in the "Dbghelp.dll path" box enter the path to DBGHELP.DLL (by default, X:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows\dbghelp.dll)
3)  In the "Symbols path" box, enter srv*C:\Symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols

Note: for symbol resolution to work, you must change the "Dbghelp.dll path" to point at the copy of dbghelp.dll that was installed with the Debugging Tools for Windows.

Edited by molotov - 21 May 2008 at 5:31pm
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaglehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 3:28am
Thank you for you patients and help. I have really appreciated it .The simpler something is the harder of a time I have with it. That part makes sense now but how will this help me determine what is going on.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaglehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 3:31am
Originally posted by molotov molotov wrote:

[  Sort by the "CSwitch Delta" column and note the full stack of the topmost thread.

What is the pourpose of the CSwitch Delta.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 3:41am
Quote That part makes sense now but how will this help me determine what is going on
Configuring symbols will allow PE to display the names of functions that are in the stack of the thread that is consuming CPU.  From those function names, one may be able to infer what the thread is doing, and that information may guide one's investigation.

Quote What is the pourpose of the CSwitch Delta.

Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaglehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 8:17am
Thank you for your patients with me. I am interested in learning more amd I am a twiddler by nature so I have the need to inderstand as much as humanly possible.If I am irritating you I apologize.You hace been great.
This would be the offending stack that is using the cpu.
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadStartThunk (CSwithch Delta 109)
ntkrnlpa.exe!KiDispatchInterrupt+0x7f
dnsrslvr.dll!Dns_RecordCompare+0xd
dnsrslvr.dll!Cache_RecordSetAtomic+0xdf
dnsrslvr.dll!Cache_RecordList+0x74
dnsrslvr.dll!LoadHostFileIntoCache+0x5f
dnsrslvr.dll!InitCacheWithHostFile+0x7
dnsrslvr.dll!Cache_Initialize+0xa4
dnsrslvr.dll!Cache_Lock+0x2e
dnsrslvr.dll!Cache_GetRecordsForRpc+0x1d
dnsrslvr.dll!R_ResolverQuery+0xbd
RPCRT4.dll!Invoke+0x30
RPCRT4.dll!NdrStubCall2+0x297
RPCRT4.dll!NdrServerCall2+0x19
RPCRT4.dll!DispatchToStubInC+0x38
RPCRT4.dll!RPC_INTERFACE::DispatchToStubWorker+0x113
RPCRT4.dll!RPC_INTERFACE::DispatchToStub+0x84
RPCRT4.dll!LRPC_SCALL::DealWithRequestMessage+0x2db
RPCRT4.dll!LRPC_ADDRESS::DealWithLRPCRequest+0x16d
RPCRT4.dll!LRPC_ADDRESS::ReceiveLotsaCalls+0x310
RPCRT4.dll!RecvLotsaCallsWrapper+0xd
RPCRT4.dll!BaseCachedThreadRoutine+0x79
RPCRT4.dll!ThreadStartRoutine+0x1a
kernel32.dll!BaseThreadStart+0x37

I did notice after I updated me JRE and uninstalled the old one is when this started.
What would the environment tab and how would I use it to help trouble shoot.?
Also would it be safe to set the priority lower to help use less of the cpu or would it just drag out the time it takes to load the dll's.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 8:57am
Quote CSwithch Delta 109
109 isn't very high - I can't see how this would be causing significant CPU usage.  Currently, procexp.exe has one thread that pretty consistently has a CSwitch Delta of 2200, and overall system CPU usage is < 10%.

Quote What would the environment tab
Per the PE help file:
Quote Environment:
The environment variables associated with the process show on this page.
Every process has an environment block that contains a set of environment variables and their values.  These variables can influence or be used by the process.  A relatively "famous" environment variable is the "PATH".

Quote how would I use it to help trouble shoot.?
If you suspected a problem that was related to the environment of a process, you could inspect the environment to determine the variables and their values.

Quote Also would it be safe to set the priority lower to help use less of the cpu or would it just drag out the time it takes to load the dll's.
SVCHOST hosts many services; lowering the priority of the process will impact all services in the process.  This may or may not be desirable or have substantial performance implications.

Edited by molotov - 08 November 2007 at 8:57am
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eaglehorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 November 2007 at 9:16am
Is it possible because I have an older CPU that it is the host file loading. I know you gave the link to the book on internals but in the meantime (until) I have the extra money is there anywhere I can start looking to learn more info about windows internal?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic