Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > BgInfo
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Server 2008 registry PhysicalHostName

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TXJustin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Server 2008 registry PhysicalHostName
    Posted: 25 June 2008 at 5:59am
I came across a technet blog that mentioned using BGInfo to display the name of the physical host for a virtual machine, by pointing BGInfo to a  registry string: 

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Virtual Machine\Guest\Parameters\PhysicalHostName

This works as expected on Vista and 2003.  However, on Server 2008 guest machines this does not appear to work -- my result is always: (none).  To see if possibly BGInfo would not read the registry on a 2008 server in general, I tested with other registry keys (for example: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentType) which work as expected.

So in summary, BGInfo is unable to pull a registry value from the following key on Windows 2008 server:  HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Virtual Machine\Guest\Parameters\PhysicalHostName

filecore View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filecore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2012 at 2:20pm
You failed to tick the "Use 64-bit registry view" box when setting the registry options in the custom entry. Ticking this box makes the Server 2008 host show properly on the HostName, PhysicalHostName and PhysicalHostNameFullyQualified entries.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic