Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Process Monitor
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Procmon hanging Windows 2008

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Procmon hanging Windows 2008
    Posted: 12 August 2008 at 1:35am
- Running windows 2008 x64
- Windows hangs as soon as procmon comes up. No events are shown on the status bar. Mouse movement and Ctrl-Alt-Del do nothing. Can only do a hard reboot from here.
- I know that Win2k8 is not supported, however others at my workplace can run procmon on Win2k8 fine
- Uninstalled all anti-virus s/w.
- Using process explorer, the only non-Microsoft files listed under "System" process are:
    dump_dumpata.sys, dump_atapi.sys, procexp111.sys, atikmdag.sys, e1e6032e.sys
- I've upgraded atikmdag.sys and e1e6032e.sys to the latest drivers
- There are no non-microsoft services running (according to msconfig)
- I tried to attach visual studio debugger (from another PC) to procmon.exe and procmon64.exe, but it couldn't attach to these processes

Any ideas what else I can do to track this down?
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 1:57am
Hi jon12345,

No Server 2008 or x64 here, but... Embarrassed

AFAIK, it is quite likely that the intent is for Procmon to function on Server 2008 x64...

What version of Procmon are you using?  Ensure you're using the latest version, 1.37.

Quote however others at my workplace can run procmon on Win2k8 fine
Similar hardware?  What version of Procmon are the others using?

Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
jon12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 2:23am
Thanks for the fast response.

I've tried versions 1.35 and 1.37 of procmon, same result. Others at my work are using 1.35. We're all running Dell Optiplex 755. Obviously something is different with my install, but I've no idea what.

Would it be worth grabbing a memory dump after it hangs? How would I do that?
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 August 2008 at 2:28am
You could try getting a memory dump via CrashOnCtrlScroll.   Also, you'd probably want to ensure the system is configured to generate a kernel memory dump.  If your intention is to upload the dump file somewhere for others to analyze, I'd suggest negotiating this privately.  (And finally, no guarantees... Embarrassed )
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
jon12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:26am
Hi, I added CrashOnCtrlScroll (=1) to these registry keys (I have a USB keyboard) and rebooted, but nothing happens when I press CTRL+SCROLL LOCK+SCROLL LOCK to test it :(

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\kbdhid\Parameters

I must be missing something.

Additionally, running procmon in a Hyper-V virtual computer in the same box works fine. Not sure if this proves anything, other than the hardware can support it.

molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 1:31am
Are you using the CTRL key on the right-hand side?
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
jon12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 5:07am
Yes, used the right CTRL key but it didn't work. Seems like others have had this problem on Win2k8 too: http://www.osronline.com/showThread.CFM?link=127366

In any case, I tracked the problem down to the display driver. Disabling atikmdag.sys (ATI Radeon Kernel Mode Driver) with Autoruns and rebooting means procmon can run. I have an ATI Radeon HD 2400 XT. Using either the latest Dell drivers (8.49-080409a-063305C-Dell) or the latest ATI drivers don't help.

Any ideas what I can do? I'd rather keep the ATI driver installed if possible.

molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2008 at 11:33am
Hmm, interesting... Doron's saying the feature is there and should still function the same, but others are unable to get it to work...

Quote In any case, I tracked the problem down to the display driver.
Good work - this is the first time that I can recall that a display driver would appear to be affecting Procmon in this fashion...

In all the cases I've seen where some software interferes with Procmon, usually the only option is to make a choice between Procmon and the other software.  I understand that with this being the video driver, you really don't have a choice...

I suppose you might consider changing various video settings, to see if perhaps it has an impact on the problem.  But it would be more "trial and error" than anything...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
jon12345 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon12345 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 November 2009 at 3:59am
Just a quick note to say procmon 2.8 fixes this issue. Woohoo!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic