Sysinternals Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Sysinternals Utilities > Autoruns
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Duplicate entries

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fungoid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Duplicate entries
    Posted: 15 April 2009 at 11:37am
Yes, I viewed previous topics with a similar subject, but the posters didn't have quite the same problem as me, and there were no solutions given anyway :)

Autoruns is great. However, on every system I've used it on (XP, Vista, 7), I've ended up with several items under "Logon" that get duplicated (exact same info). Some of them under CurrentVersion/Run, some under Start Menu/Programs/Startup. If I look at the actual Start Menu or registry, there are no duplicates.

Sometimes this occurs when I disable an item -- it shows up later as a duplicate that is re-enabled. But some of the dups just seem to happen by themselves.

If I delete one of the duplicates, then the next time Autoruns runs, both items are gone Cry

As I say, this happens on every system I run Autoruns. I would think this is a known issue, with either a fix, a workaround, or acknowledgement that it's just the way things are!

Screeny provided as a PNG in a ZIP:

uploads/28174/Autoruns-dup.zip
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 12:25pm
Hi Fungoid,

The screenshot you show does list duplicate items.  Yet each one seems to be explained by having disabled one entry that later came back.  So Autoruns will show what it disabled (so it can be reenabled) as well as what is actually starting (the new entry).
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
RGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 2:07am
The cause of the problem and the solution are given below (in my case after this fix the startup list works correctly and appears correctly in msconfig, but not yet in autoruns).

www.vistax64.com/vista-general/102565-programs-load-twice-startup-folder.html

RE: Programs load twice from startup folder

This is an issue related to the way that the registry works that has plagued me since XP and it HAS NOT YET been fixed on Vista. It normally happens when the sole-user of a PC tries to merge the content of his User-specific Start Menu Programs folder (C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu\Programs) with the content of the All-users Start Menu Programs folder (C:\Documents and Settings\ALL USERS\Start Menu\Programs), for the sake of manageability. I have googled a solution to this back then, and the good news is that it is totally applicable for Vista too:

http://www.somacon.com/p398.php

Please note that the article was written for XP, so if you want it to work on Vista please consider "C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu\Programs" as "C:\Users\USER\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft
\Windows\Start Menu\Programs"

Hope that helps.

Prevent Startup Programs from Running Twice in Windows XP

A way to solve the problem of programs in the Startup folder being executed twice on Windows XP logon. The applications may appear doubled in msconfig.

Problem

Under Windows XP, programs placed in the Start Menu\Programs\Startup folder may be running twice. This occurs even though only one shortcut or icon for each program appears in the Startup folder when viewed through Windows Explorer. When you use msconfig (Startup tab) or autoruns (Logon tab) to inspect the Startup listings, they appear twice. Unchecking one or both disables the program from running at all.

Cause

This situation can occur if the user-specific Startup folder is deleted from the user's profile. When that happens, Windows looks for user-specific startup programs in the All Users startup folder instead. This causes doubling, because the programs from the All Users startup folder are executed once for All Users and again for the current user.

Solution

First, recreate the Start Menu folders in your profile directory, while logged in as the user experiencing the problem. Open Windows Explorer and browse to c:\Documents and Settings\USER\Start Menu. You can also type %USERPROFILE% in the address bar, and then open the Start Menu folder. Under the Start Menu folder, create a folder called Programs. Under Programs, create folders for Administrative Tools and Startup.

Now that the folders are recreated, you need to edit the registry so that Windows know where the user-specific Startup folder is located. Run regedit from the Start→Run... menu.

Open the following branch:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders
Under this branch, you may find some folders being listed under %ALLUSERSPROFILE%. These need to be changed to the %USERPROFILE% directory. Below you can see the resulting values of the keys that may need changing.

• Programs - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs
  • Start Menu - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu
  • Startup - %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

You do not need to edit the related values under the Explorer\Shell Folders branch, because the above settings will take precedence. You may want to check it anyway, just to be sure you didn't miss any folders, like Administrative Tools. After these changes are done, you may need to reboot to see the changes.

Run msconfig or autoruns and the doubled programs should be gone.

Notes

If you are uncomfortable editing the registry, you can use the Tweak UI Windows XP Power Toy. Run Tweak UI and then open the My Computer→Special Folders pane. Select the folders and set their paths as described above.

Some programs are supposed to have two Startup entries. This article only applies to Startup programs in your Start Menu, and when they are all doubled. This is probably a rare problem.

Links

Link to this page: <a href="http://www.somacon.com/p398.php">Prevent Startup Programs from Running Twice in Windows XP</a>

Edited by RGB - 17 April 2009 at 3:44am
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 2:17am
Hi RGB,

That does not quite sound like the same thing Fungoid is describing - Fungoid is seeing an entry for a program that has been disabled by Autoruns, and an  enabled entry that has subsequently been replaced after having been disabled.  Multiple instances of the same autostart program are not being started. 

Edited by molotov - 17 April 2009 at 2:17am
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
RGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 3:26am
Hi Molotov,

It is easy to get an image with checked and unchecked entries in Autoruns before the screen grab, irrespective of the cause of the duplicate entries. Fungoid mentioned that deleting either entry in Autoruns eliminates both, and that the problem seems to arise 'without cause' (ie not through changes made in Autoruns). 'Without cause' generally means 'some other user intervention with an unexpected effect', so without information on the effect in msconfig or whether startups load twice (maybe unnoticed) my guess is that he has exactly this problem. It is easy for Fungoid to check.

The final part of the solution to make everything appear properly in Autoruns:

Do edit the related values under the Explorer\Shell Folders branch (evidently Autoruns looks here whereas msconfig looks in Explorer\User Shell Folders).

Regards, RGB.
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 3:38am
The screenshot shows a disabled and an enabled entry.  Aside from that state, the entries are identical.  Autoruns will only display a disabled entry if Autoruns was the program used to disable the entry.

Autoruns does check Shell Folders; on logon, User Shell Folders gets copied to Shell Folders...

The duplicate entries referred to by Fungoid appear in more than just the User / Shell Folders...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
RGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 4:00am
Hi Molotov,

You are the expert. I am just the Autoruns user who had the same symptom, found a solution elsewhere that worked, and thought it might be useful to post here (because I could not find any solution posted by the experts in this forum, where I looked first). Fungoid can check easily enough whether it applies to his case.

If you are right that his problem has another cause, you still have not given him a solution.

How about: Use Explorer to look in the AutorunsDisabled folder and delete just the unwanted duplicates (keep a backup of the folder elsewhere until you are sure this has the desired effect)?

The AutorunsDisabled folder should be at: 
C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup\AutorunsDisabled

You can get there quickly by double-clicking the folder under which those entries are listed in the Autoruns display window.

Similarly you can double-click a registry branch in the Autoruns display window to start regedit and see the corresponding Autoruns disabled list. As always, back up first and think before you decide to edit the registry (deleting a duplicate entry in the Autoruns disabled section should be low risk).

All this is wasting time if you are disabling entries in Autoruns then reinstalling programs that recreate the entries - just stop disabling entries that your programs need (or stop reinstalling programs that you do not need).

(PS: I can say from experience that the above stated registry settings in user shell folders do not get copied to shell folders at boot or logon in Vista, you need to make the separate edits)

Regards, RGB

Edited by RGB - 17 April 2009 at 5:12am
molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 April 2009 at 11:40am
Quote (PS: I can say from experience that the above stated registry settings in user shell folders do not get copied to shell folders at boot or logon in Vista, you need to make the separate edits)
Correct.  This is true in XP, but not Vista.  Thanks for clarifying.  (Does Vista honor Shell Folders at all?  Or is User Shell Folders used exclusively?)

Quote All this is wasting time if you are disabling entries in Autoruns then reinstalling programs that recreate the entries - just stop disabling entries that your programs need (or stop reinstalling programs that you do not need).
And one is pretty much out of luck (short of trying to find an alternative program) if the program detects that its autostart has been disabled / removed, and recreates it the next time it is run.
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
RGB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 6:05am

In Vista (at least in Vista Business 32) Autoruns looks for startup programs in the registry under the Explorer\Shell Folders branch whereas msconfig looks under Explorer\User Shell Folders.

molotov View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote molotov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 April 2009 at 3:55pm
Right - I'm wondering if Shell Folders is serving anything other than a legacy purpose, in Vista+...
Daily affirmation:
net helpmsg 4006
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic